No plate rallygoers I've done it again for Rhode Island

For anyone going to Metal Ponies rally from a state with no moped plates, email me for the holy grail.

Just like I did with New York, I have negotiated (by force) for the General Counsel of Rhode Island DMV to send me a written document, signed and on official letterhead, stating that Rhode Island must recognise any moped registered legally in the owners home state, whether it bears a plate or not.

Email me for a copy chefhockey@aol.com

I hit them with the fact that the USDOT inspects and tags mopeds that pass safety standards with an official VIN plate. Therefore the United States federal government declares mopeds motor vehicles, not recreational vehicles as some states claim. That being said, they then fall under the same Constitutional requirement under the interstate commerce clause as any other motor vehicle, and all states must recognise any others, no matter what the home state requires or issues.

I told her that if we do not get a document, we will ride anyway, and the first ticket issued will trigger a lawsuit by me in US Circuit Court, Boston District. Also, if she was legally notified in advance and failed to act, she would join the ticketing officer and the State as a named defendant. The document was forthcoming quickly thereafter.

Re: No plate rallygoers I've done it again for Rhode Island

Paul Degenaro /

Well played, sir.

So complicated. Are we not just going to hide among a bunch of other peds?

GET REALIZED! BE HERE NOW! /

Me and mick gon stay ridin dirty.

Damn mail me one of dem fancy letters!

The Reverend Defecator /

This is very good to hear ! Kudos to pro-actively exercising our Constitutional rights within the law regarding Mopeds and succeeding !

Mopeds = 1

Bureaucracy = 0

Dave, you are brilliant. :)

I love it.

This is not just for the rally. I have been told that the RI cops have regularly harrassed Mass riders without plates. This will put an end to that, for if it doesn't, I have further more agressive legal action in store for them.

I attached the letter from the General Counsel of RI. I also have a similar document from the State of New York if anyone needs.

If anyone is in a no plate state and wants me to hit the next problematic feifdom, shoot me an email.

And hiding doesn't always work. A few weeks ago during the purgatory chasm ride we had, a copy pulled us over and checked every single moped thoroughly and almost wouldn't let us go because one of the stickers was sideways.

Now this is the kind of self-reliance and knowledge of the law our forefathers would applaud

Cool, printing off letter and putting it in my folder of out-of-state state laws... haha.

email sent... holla at your boi!

anyone having similar issues in other states...send me the information and give me a few days with the people in charge and I will get the documentation you need

I don't plan on coming to this rally but if I were.... I come from va- one of the states that doesn't require any sort of documentation (no title, tags, insurance, registration, license) would I be able to participate in the fun? I ask because I would like to do some moped riding in other states for rallies and for the hell of it and really don't want any problems. As a licensed driver with a motorcycle endorsement would I be ok? Would I be bound by my home states rules?

sookia sookia /

See more on Know Your Meme

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

The lisence part is legally up to the state. The registration recognition is federally mandated.

I don't know of any states that require a nmotorcycly lisence for a moped. Beuller? Bueller?

How about Illinois , they require plates , tags , title , license , insureance , the whole nine yards . I live in Missouri and can't ride just across the river in Illinois . What to do ?

This is rad. Great job dude. Cali requires a M class license to ride a moped btw. :)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account