Pinto + General + 74 CT70 + CR80 + FS1 + Magnum

BEFORE YOU START CRYING this was a super f'd pinto with no wheels, no motor and a crusty tank. It was $40 and had been sitting for months. The fellow mopeder I bought it off of was thrilled to see it being used - even if four stroke.

I sold all the parts SUPER cheap off of it as a sacrifice to the moped gods.

I started this thing in november when I started rebuilding my $20 CL motor (which is now got waaayyyyy more than $20 in it), our welding shop at school got shut down, I searched for a month for a place that would let me weld and a redbull sponsored welder let me finish the fab at his shop - Preston Farabow in knoxville. The general tank I pryed out of the hands of an ebay seller trying to get insane monies for a v1 general, the forks were pieced together from egay, the magnum swingarm was leftover from a variated magnum project from robert prichard in nashville.

After I got it built it ran but didn't run right. I assumed timing was set because I gapped the points but I assumed wrong. Trouble shot compression and valve timing for a month when it was just timing - gapping points is NOT timing on these motors. Timed it and it blasted, then discovered a cracked exhaust valve, so I threw new japanese valves in the head. Replaced valves, and then the clutch couldn't handle the power so I had to throw race springs in that.

Rode it in richmond pretty much for the first time outside the neighborhood. It's a blast.

I love two stroke and I've got two stroke builds going on right now too - so hate on the bike but not me.

SPECS:

1974 CT70 Engine

1978 Puch Moped frame

1970's Range Rover Green

Magnum Swingarm

ATC70 4 speed transmission

88cc cylinder kit

Honda HOT cam w/ 5.1mm lift

19mm Dellorto Carb

Puch Exhaust Header intake manifold

CR80 forks

General 5 star moped tank

Yamaha FS1 reproduction seat

17" rims front and back

12v rectified/regulated electrical system

Halogen up front

LED in rear

egay clip ons

New jap valves

New gaskets

New seals

All new NTN bearings only

New cam chain

New points

Re: Pinto + General + 74 CT70 + CR80 + FS1 + Magnum

dope. inb4 four-stroke bitching.

† CH∆D † /

ONE COMMENT? Rad bike, Im sure the pics dont do it justice

Ϫ‡☄ಬ∞ ƀƖḬƝƊ ƤǂƿƎ ∞ಬ☄‡Ϫ - Hoke from Black Pipes Moped Gang /

no hate here. good lines. any mpg or top speed specs yet?

well done.

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

Welcome to the OT Ryan.

MA's best form 90% of the time for the last two years.

Better known as the deleter's playground.

Nice!

Put this in Gen forum!

If you should ever do a Rally and Jim Rees makes a show..do me a favor and Blast his ass bad and i will die Happy in the fact this was done with a Putt made in the good old USA ! ~

LOVE The color! Tank looks SWEET!

dude wow. this is too goood!

Deadped Ryan /

@ Chris - I've been clocked at 60... and I know I've gone faster than when I was clocked. I need to do some GPS speed runs. No mileage but it's pretty insane. I rode all of RVA on less than a tank. Also, FS1 repro seats flow SO nice with general tanks. That should be documented or something... they're super comfy too. Hit me up for a free ride in nashville this year.

@sol - I left this out of gen forum for a couple reasons, for one because I saw what happened with the red lifan maxi and magnum - even though this is completely different because it's a rebuilt genuine 39yo honda motor. (I would never put a 4t on anything rare, complete or top tank).

A two stroke will always be faster for the same displacement and less, some people at the RVA drag races didn't understand this. I got discouraged from posting this anywhere else on MA after some comments I discovered on pedshow when I realized a photo of the bike had been uploaded from RVA.

I LOVE two stroke raw unadulterated power... but I haven't done jack shit to this in so many miles except gap valve tappets, check timing and change oil - 4t is cool too.

@ Woody from gen forum - There are manual clutch kits for these bikes - but they're chinese. I'm working on getting a vintage honda genuine manual clutch together. The only thing on this motor that isn't japanese is the cylinder and piston because you can't take a stock cylinder up to 88cc. I hate that, but the extra 18cc's make a big difference and I refuse to put anything more chinese on it. Everything else was rebuilt with all dealer and actual japanese parts.

Also, thanks for the kind words everyone. Was super disappointed nobody noticed this go down in O/T, but didn't really care because I love this thing.

haha bedroom builds.

1 shop by the bed

1 shop set up at work

and 1 shop set up it your onw show

hahahha

that sounds just like me

props nice build

ps: that nice green- singe stage? or cleared?

ps2:....best tech for clear no bs

(edited)

Damn Ryan! Awesome build

†▲m †▲m /

damn. all oem parts in the engine? how much $$$ did you hemorrhage?

Deadped Ryan /

The biggest expense were the valves - I got away without replacing the guides and what not. . It's not ALL OEM - it's all OEM and Japanese. The seals were like $50 from the dealership and I certainly didn't pay that. There's quite a large Japanese aftermarket for these things

Ϫ‡☄ಬ∞ ƀƖḬƝƊ ƤǂƿƎ ∞ಬ☄‡Ϫ - Hoke from Black Pipes Moped Gang /

most honorable ryan-san

†▲m †▲m /

was the engine originally a 4 speed ... i thought those 74's were 3 speed?

I've got two 81 c70 engines laying around... been thinking about doing this for a while. I know you can put 4 speed gears in 'em

Anyway, super nice work. reviving those old engines is way better than a lifan

Deadped Ryan /

The engine was originally a three speed. 4 speed atc transmissions can be had for under $30 shipped from ebay though and it's a great mod - they drop right in. The cl90 trannies have a better ratio and more expensive, but the ATC gears are great for the money. I hear SS50 5 speed trannies swap in too, but they are allegedly delicate (and very pricey).

I honestly think these are WAY easier to build than ZA's and of course harder than e50's. They take more time to put together and have a lot of parts but they honestly won't go together wrong.

These ARE way better than lifan's and way cheaper too... these things are for sale so cheap because of all the doods swapping them out for lifans that go fast for a little while and blow up. It's really nuts actually how cheap you can get these things....

If you decide to revive one of those get at me and I'll give any advice I can!

Swoopid Woody /

So you can drop in a CL90 tranny into one of these?

Deadped Ryan /

I used an ATC 4 speed transmission. It is my understanding they are the same as CL transmissions except for the gear ratios... the CL bikes having more desirable gear ratios than the ATC's.

But, yes. Yes you can.

You need the new shift drum as well - I think everything else crosses over. If you're going to do it I'll look back at my notes and see, but I'm pretty sure everything else works. (edited)

Swoopid Woody /

Thinking about it. Had to sell my cl90 for lawyer $. To make up for it I'm starting to plan a similar build as yours in my head. I'd love to get a hold of another cl90 motor, but dropping a cl90 or act tranny in a ct70 motor may be a little less on the wallet. Do you have a link for the Chinese manual clutch kit?

Deadped Ryan /

DraTV baby... you'll be hard pressed to find that kit cheaper anywhere else.... A lot of people claim it's japanese but I don't think it is. There's two versions of that kit (same application) just different manufacturers.

One day I'll piece together a vintage one, but I'm not buying it from those scumbags on ebay for $150 in pieces.

You can make a ped faster and quicker, but damn this thing has been reliable. I wish I hadn't made it so pretty so I could have a fastish beater bike. (edited)

What was the length of the cr80 forks from the axle to teh top triple tree before any chopping? Also what is the o.d. of the fork tubes.

Deadped Ryan /

I don't remember what the height was. The front wheel is a 17" rim, so if you go in and scale the rim to the fork height from the fourth picture down, you should be able to get a rough number - there's no way you could run it without chopping though.

Fork tube OD is 35mm.

FYI: moved from OT since it's obviously moped related and I thought it would get a better audience here.

Deadped Ryan /

Wow... thanks simon... I'm flattered...

Swoopid Woody /

Nice move, youo deserve the attention ryan this is one of my favorite builds

who cares if its 4t? its fucking rad!

Love this. I almost wish I had a real honda engine on my magnum.

Lol, fuck yes... I wondered why I never saw a build thread on this, lol.

I like this bike. Calvin's Yellow Pinto ate this think for din din in RVA though... ;)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account