1978 motobecane 50v moby... what other motors will match up and bolt on with no modifications?

i am really getting discouraged with all the other non running peds i have been looking at in the last week,, everybody thinkd their non runner is worth a mint. Sooooo my ringer is a 1978 motobecane with no motor. I am haing trouble locating a 50v. i want to know what my options are before i buy it... worst case i am left with a ped i will have to part out to get my loot back.. Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks

Re: 1978 motobecane 50v moby... what other motors will match up and bolt on with no modifications?

Just put a Lifan on it bro!

Re: 1978 motobecane 50v moby... what other motors will match up and bolt on with no modifications?

yet another name im not familure with... time to wiki.. are these "crate motors" or just easier to find than a 50v? and are the 50v really that hard to find..? i am having no luck... and i want to commit to a ped and get started but half my mind says do the research... grrrrrr....lol i dont want to put the call out for a 50v on the buy sell and get a bunch of people all horny about a sale, and get bombarded with pm's about "hey dude, do you want it or not" kinda stuff...

they appear to all be 4 stroke... im a 2 smoker for life.... i love the smell and sound and im kinda high wired and wound tight myself so our personalities match well me and a 2 stroke that is.. :)

Russell Huddy /

Av7 or av10 are your only real option post a ad in buy/sell

or build it piece by piece from treats or 1977. Av7 shouldn't be hard to find at all.

^ Yes it is the only thing that will work without major modification. Make sure the tank on the bike is decent before you buy it.

a PA50 will go on easy, just 1 cut, custom spring tensioner, and a new intake is all you need according to JBOT's Hobylette thread

I'm almost there to pick it up... he said the cap was a little tight but he said the tank was clean... he looked in it and said from what he can see there is no rust ... at the top at least... we'll see in a few mins...

If you paid more than $20 you were ripped off.

seriously, though, I know you've been bitten by the bug, and mopeds are just "like the best thing ever!", but slow your roll. be patient, buy something that runs (or at least is complete) and save yourself the headache.

I got it for 20 bucks because the fork is a little bent. at worst I have a parts bike and a specimen to study... :)

oh, well, if you only paid $20... in that case, I'd suggest doing a little research and building an engine. might take a while, but it'll be a good learning experience.

I'm sure its not the same but I have built from crank up, a 600cc twin arctic cat motor and two different KX. motors...80cc and 250cc . with all the parts in front of me, I had the 80 motor pulled,built and installed in 2days..running and my nephew is still beating the piss out of it today.. :) I can't wait to play. I'm like a 35 yr old kid sometimes...lol

I have a good crank with bearings, a ported stock cylinder and head with no decompressor. Also a Sha intake. You should probably find one complete with stator and variator though

thats good to know thanks..! im assuming there for sale as well...? lol.. thats cool.. thing is i HAVE been looking diligently and have run across the term Variator and still havent quite figured out what it does. I guess it regulates voltage to the coil through the bands... low mid and hi..? am i way in left field..? thanks

Or is it a clutch thing... I'm gonna have to keep lookin...this is actually only the second forum/site I have had interest in other than a slot machine one for my mom to fix her shit ... and I'm not the best at navigating these sites....I'm a gear head...limited computer skills...but I try.

Yeah for sale. The variator and clutch are pretty much one unit on the drive side of the crank. The ignition is on the other side of the crank. I might have modified stock exhaust too.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account