Will most mopeds accept a 20" tire?

Will most mopeds accept a 20" tire?

Re: Will most mopeds accept a 20" tire?

Most are 16" or 17"

Different measurement standard. A 20" BMX tire will fit on either a 16" or 17" moped wheel; I can't remember which, and I can't imagine it's a perfect match. Also, BMX tires are not rated for speeds typical of a moped.

A 20" bicycle tire fits a 16" rim. That said bicycle tires wont work well on a moped. The sidewalls are thin, inferior belting, and the compound is too soft.

I want to run a 16x2.5" perelli but I haven't got a moped yet... I wanted to get going on the wheel build. What about standard wheel spacing? Rear is usually 155-175mm, correct? What about front?

you on endless sphere? the 29er build with a 9c?

most peps on here wont like the moped frame for electric bike build..

Yeah, how'd you guess?.

Whats wrong with electrifying a moped... I road with a moped gang and they ethought it was really cool.

To me, electrifying a moped has so many advantages, the only limiting factor is cost. I don't see reason why people would flame about it (edited)

you going to roll hub motor or non frock?

i have a rigid moped frame, would be sick to throw 24s lipo through it with a greyborg....

but its rockin 17" wheels which are like 22" in bicycle world.

16"=20" bicycle tire

but i like filling up instead of waiting an hr to charge..

I have a greyborg cromotor.. I would run 28s12p a123 (92V). It's not hard for me to lace it into a 16" 47mm rim.

Thats a 50 pound pack.., with around 60 miles range

John Joedicke /

Thats more than a 49 cc motor and a full tank of fuel... Dumb!

The spacing will depend on the brand of moped, there isn't really any set standard. It's usually close enough that you can add/remove spacers to get it sorted out. I'd personally just drop $30 on a frame and start building from the frame out.

I will take your opinnion in to consideration. I would hate to buy something for $400 and it end up not being what I expected..

John, it's 50 pounds for a trade off of 60 mile range, $0.15 fill up, and 10HP. (270N.M. torque)

I like the idea of a electric moped, specially the $0.15 fill up for 60 mile range...

...so where do you "fill up" when you are 60 miles from home and in a hurry to get going?

Anywhere.. Onboard charger would do about 10-20 miles per hour depending on the charger. The pack I am building is capable of being charged in 15 minutes if it was plugged into a J1772 charging station with a super duper charger ($2k, not happening any time soon). I'll settle for >20 miles of range per hour. This was all based at average speed of 35mph or so.. but I haven't actually had a moped to understand how much drag there is compared to a 29er mountain bike.

the range would probably be more like 45-50 miles at a sustained 40mph, but again, I have not modeled a moped.. just bicycles. For me, I would never really charge publicly unless I was going on a trip.. and if I was going on a long trip, I would porbably have a ride lined up if it was cutting it close.

But, obviously, going 20-25mph constant would increase the range to about 120 miles. So it's all about riding style.

Most of my braking on my ebike is done with the hub motor, which also plays a big factor in range (increasing it up to 6-12%). It also brings wear and tear on brake pads and messes down.

edit: once you ride these machines, you might not even want to go back. it's a lot of fun. Also, range anxiety is overcomed quickly, especially as you learn what it takes to get from A to B, and especially if your route is the same everyday. I wouldn't want to take one cross country and get stuck in a ghetto, for sure (edited)

What is their cold/hot weather performance difference - just wondering

It kind of depends on what components you have and what power levels, especially for hot days. Cooling motor controllers is a must, and there is no one right way of doing it.

It's sort of like the same issue with Internal combustion engines.. You can tune them to output tremendous power, but that often necessitates heat loss that needs to managed to prevent blowing something up.. in EV's case, capacitors, mosfets, and wire insulation.

In the winter, batteries don't like to be cold.. their internal resistance goes up. Usually when you warm them up they behave normally, but charging lithium batteries below freezing is a big no-no. There can be lowered capacity if the batteries remain chilled and you decide to ride with them, but it comes back when they are warm again if they haven't been abused. Such capacity loss might range from 10-25%, but don't quote me on that

120-140F can actually be good for battery performance, but if they get too hot, thermal runaway occurs and you are left with a flaming and/or smoking situation that can catch a garage on fire. The risks are very few, and in practice it is very easy to manage lithium batteries on this scale. Usually lithium packs for this power level are over-built, so they don't get very warm under load. A big concern with pushing hub motors to the limit is carefully monitoring the winding temperature or having temperature override even.. But that's only necessary if you are pushing things to the absolute limit. (edited)

how much does that battery cost to full setup?

im trying to decide which moped frame could house all of those batteries and not look too crazy..

IT really depends on what range you want and what cycle life and battery chemistry you choose. Anywhere from $300-2000. Each chemistry has a different volumetric and weight energy density. Some cells pack twice the capacity (longer range) but can only output half the current continuously (slower acceleration).

You're probably used to Lead acid, which would indeed not really work on most mopeds without being jank. I am going to use around 300 cylindrical cells about the size of extended C cells. Doing it with cylindricals or pouches makes packaging them much easier

50 pounds is a big, 15,000+ mile pack. you can easily get away with a 10 pound shorter range pack for a fraction of the cost. Most people don't need much range. Hell I don't even need 60 miles range all the time. I will probably split the pack in halves so I save on weight when I'm not going far. (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account