Bike Bug vs. Solex, Friction Drive Races, RIP Mike Sneider

---------------- LaZer ------------* /

1. I have yet to get my Bike Bug running, so I'm curious on performance and reliability versus a solex. From the YouTube videos I've found it seems like the Bike Big is extremely louder.

2. I think it would be neat to have races for friction drive mopeds only. These bikes have been overlooked for far too long. The kids in Europe are doing it.

3. Mike Sneider has a great site at www.bikebug.net. He is the BrianSolex of the auqabug world. Problem is, he's a ghost. Only uses direct mail for parts ordering, emails come back delivery failure, and no one ever answers the phone. Is this guy still around? I really need a new drive wheel or instructions on how to make one out of an inline skate wheel. (edited)

IMAG0463.jpg

Re: Bike Bug vs. Solex, Friction Drive Races, RIP Mike Sneider

Looks more like a skateboard wheel. From the pics I would say get a wheel and machine it out to fit the bearings you need then cut a groove to match the tire.

Epoxy motorcycle/car tire tread on there, should grab the tire real well

they do in france. look up solex cross

UPDATE: (cue the Unsolved Mysteries theme music) I just spoke to Mike via telephone and he's alive and well. Real nice guy. He claims that the Bike Bug is indeed faster than a solex, so IRE Mark, the race is on!

Mike Schneider...awesome guy.

http://www.bikebug.net/

I rode this one at the bnnta,, it was pretty quick,,,

Lazer bring that thing down here,, i'll help fix it, and then we'll see if you can keep up with my 4600 with the racing stripe

bikebug1.JPG

You guys are nuts. Can a solex engine be bolted up to any bicycle too?

I have a BikeBug motor that I need to mount. I never even opened the box after I received it! Maybe it's time. I also have a NOS Bike Machine motor still in the box to get to also.

Bryan Theguy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have a BikeBug motor that I need to mount. I

> never even opened the box after I received it!

> Maybe it's time. I also have a NOS Bike Machine

> motor still in the box to get to also.

is that a K&S bike machine motor? like this? (edited)

Picture 044b.JPG

I wanted to get mine running today to find out it needs some work. The primer bulb has hardened along with the gas lines, so instead of buying new, I'm trying a new trick I learned via the internets. Take old hardened rubber and soak them for a week in zip lock bag for a week with silicone spray. Also, I have no spark, so I'll be checking the points shortly. Took the drive wheel off and took it to the grinder. Found a chunk of 1 1/2" ID milk tanker hose from Fleet Farm that's just a wee bit too small. I'm going to boil it and put the roller in the freezer before flying them together with 5 min. Loctite epoxy. If you coasters don't know what Fleet Farm is, I pity you.

Yum, rubber hose soup.....

Served with shaved roller, chilled....

With some epoxy sauce for dessert! (edited)

IMAG0487.jpg
IMAG0488.jpg
IMAG0489.jpg

Lazer

got an amf, and a solex rollers loose, if you wanna try to fit one or the other,,,, I could get em both in the mail to you.

amf id 18mm

od 40mm

solex id 17mm

od 41mm

the amf one has a bushing , looks like you could knock it out, and get something pretty close to the 1 1/2"

I had a bike bug, did about 18-20. My fave was my Orline Chicken Power. Much better made. I had that mounted on a Schwinn Stingray with the springer fork. Vintage correct.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account