A ride on the solex....

Re: A ride on the solex....

thats a lot of noise for 16mph!

lol... your sitting right over the engine and it has a what i would call a "Hinged exhaust manifold" to allow for the flex needed to drop the motor down... if you were on your porch and i rode by you, you wouldn't hardly hear me... my friend took mine for a ride and i was AMAZED how quiet it was... really. but for sake of the rider, i was thinking about using some polymer tubing to slit and loosly wrap the area where the manifold moves and wire it around it. i think this would reall do wonders for the one who hears it in the seat when riding. i will post a video of my findings as soon as i wrap it up.

My brother said the video would be much cooler if i piled it up at high speed... lol...gotta love family.. :)

I love the Velosolex. It sucks that they're so hard to find in the Southeast. That bike looks new, what year? You have to remember though don't think about it as a moped, think about it as a super awesome bicycle that you don't have to pedal. Then eighteen miles per hour seems great.

The manifold and upper portion of the muffler pipe get extremely hot...the tubing will probably melt.

The connection between the manifold and muffler pipe must be snug, not loose, or else it will be louder than it should be. The manifold male knuckle and the muffler female knuckle wear and create a loose fit over time. Also, the escaping exhaust will heat up the fuel pipe, carb, and the plastic fuel tank, sometimes deforming it and causing the two sections to separate and therefore leak. You can remove the upper muffler mounting bolt and see if you can push the muffler further up onto the manifold pipe. If after doing this, the bolt holes do not line up, you can either bend the mounting tab, or drill a new hole through the side plate.

i will look into that Brian. I can assure you the tubing i am talking about can take the heat from a 2000 KX 250 2 stroke going ballz out all day long and not melt, warp, or anything and that thing gets hot as well..it is liquid cooled motor but 201 more cc as well, it gets pretty dang hot.... i will try your method first though.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account