Michigan DMV needs an enema...

I want to find a way to tell if this ped i want to buy is legit BEFORE i buy it...

those of you who have been following my threads the last day or so know the ped. It is listed on CL and the price is right... it has no motor...i figured i could go to the DMV and find a simple solution... was i wrong...

Well, i went to the DMV and the polite...(add sarcasam) lady told me that it was a crap shoot on my behalf. she let me know that they would sure run a check on it if i BUY it... i asked if there were a fee i could pay to have it checked before i buy and she said no... her reply was maybe you could get a nice poilce officer to run the numbers for me. ??? WTF???REALLY??? i then asked her "what if it comes back as stolen, then what ?" her reply was " i don't know".... and she included the words "i'm guessing" at the beginning of most of her "facts".... now what.. do i gamble the risk and just buy it, there has to be a better explination than this... Good Old Michigan DMV...

Re: Michigan DMV needs an enema...

Well, I know it's the SoS you're talkin about and none of those ladies move very fast. My coworkers wife does some sort of DMV shit for the state, she helped us out registering Craigslist peds w/out bill of sale, I'll ask him if this is within her powers. (edited)

I have always called my local police station, politely say you are looking at buying a parts bike, but want to be sure its clean/clear. They usually transfer me to a dispatcher and they run the vin for me. If they are in a good mood get them to run it in the state you are in and purchasing from(if different).

Have only been turned down 1 out of the 7-8 parts bikes i've purchased. The one time the dispatcher was having a bad day. I just called back the next day and got a different person who was glad to help.

Have never called for mopeds though, you might mention that you are looking to run the VIN for a 19XX moped. They might have a different way of searching for that type of property.

You over think everything. Just buy it if you want it. Michigan is very relaxed on registering peds. If you are skeptical then don't buy it or have the seller put all his contact info on the bill of sale so if it came up stolen, you can file legal action on your $80...which i would just cut my losses over that small ammount of money.

I too am from Michigan and would do what Trent says.

I also have a buddy who is a city cop and can ask him about running numbers. I am not sure he would run numbers on a bike up where you live though. He might suggest asking your local PD.

Brandon Compton /

If you can't find a police friend that will do it for you...there are websites you can pay to have it done...I'm lucky my best friend is HPD so any time I want to buy something I hit him up first lol

Yeah...I AM over thinking it... your right...I think I will grab it tomorrow if its still available...ya think the price is right..? Or should I shoot for $60.00...

why are you worried about bill of sale? just write one up

and there's a lady in pontiac who registers without checking vin numbers, i went in on my lunch break expecting to have to come back after work and walked out with a full registration for my magnum

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account