So i found this Motobecane on craigs list ...

So i found a post on craigs list for a 86 motobecane for a very reasonable price... but it needed an engine and ignition system. It is blue and the engine guard says " 50V MOBYLETTE". How much would it cost to get a diferent motor for it and plug and play? or do i have to hunt a motor down and rebuild it to get this thing running if i make an offer..?

Re: So i found this Motobecane on craigs list ...

Could i consider a complete 86 motobecane rolling chassie a good platform to build a decent moped..? Does it accept a variety of motors or am i limited to what will just bolt up to it and run with minor mods... sprockets, chain length, and such.. that i can do. but i dont want to have to weld motor mounts just yet... not that i couldn't.. but, baby steps....

here is a pic of it

motobecane.jpg

A motobecane will accept a motobecane engine. Learn to weld.

i can weld... i am a fabricator by trade...i could molest any moped enough to get it down the road... time for a frankenstine...

and thats confidence not arogance... no disrespect slowen.

im new to this forum and im sure i will prove my talent as soon as i get a palet to work with. I have been a metal fabricator for over 15 years ... sheet metal and heavy steel welding, aluminum welding, stainless welding, copper fab... i have an idea to make a custome copper tank... but need a platform to start... would this be worthy..? that is the question

im thinking so... no need for a custom tank on this one though.... but i would love to make my own tank out of copper... or stainless... in time.

These bikes are very nice, check the tank for rust, stock av7 would be the best bet, adding a different engine would defeat the variator, it could be done, but reconfigureing the driveline would be more effort than it is worth. That said a 50v/mobylette is one of the nicest riding mopeds ever built. See my profile page for how they look minted out. (stock). If you want to hack and weld get a tomos or a puch, much easier to add different engines. Motobecanes can be made fast, but it is expensive, and involves these huge unwieldly pipes that in some cases require the removal of the pedals. If you get that bike return it to stock form, maybe porting it. You will be amazed with it. Read everything Rebel Moby posts, he is the Motobecane GOD around here.

Very enlightning information Stephen. If i could indeed find a 50v moby to put back in it, considering i do all the wrenching, what do you think i would have into rebuilding the motor? Worst case scenario. Crank and all. I am confident i can do it, i am an avid motocross/trail rider and do all my own wrenching and have cracked cases to replace cranks and mains ans such. Thanks again for the info Stephen.

Its probably a 1976 50v not a 1986

ANyhow, reworking a stock AV7 is no huge job, get the cam/clutch puller and the rest of the toolage is just what you probably already possess.

So i contacted the guy and he still has the moped, he said it was a 78 and the CL post was a typo... the price seems very reasonable to me... what measures can i take to make sure it isnt stolen before i buy it. any suggestions?

i found a motor on here and stuff needed to get it going within my budget. I will want to register it and the guy lives about two hours from me.

None taken. I hope to see you do something cool with it. My impression of French mopeds is that they work well, but the engineers "took the scenic route" if you know what I mean.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account