enjoying a late night ride on my new solex in michigan

well, the new Solex is by no means a speed demon; nor do i see any speeding tickets in it's future. I will say this about it though, i can cruze through my neighborhood late night and im in stelth mode.... this thing is quiet.

Now i need to get a leather bag for the seat and maybe some leather streamers for the grips. Add a couple chrome spikes here and there...pics to come.....

if i want to go fast, i'll ride my KX 250....lol

0712121859.jpg

Re: enjoying a late night ride on my new solex in michigan

Please just leave it the way it is!!!!!

You won't find a lot of fans for the Solex on this forum, nor will you find many that have ever ridden one. However, most people fall in love with them once they get to experience one.

Trust me when I tell you, you have a pretty nice machine there. I would not mess with it. Read up on the history of the Solex. It actually has a very nice story and history behind it.

I still have a photo of one I used to own on my profile. It was as clean as they get.

Nice bike, quiet you say? All the vids I have ever seen of a running one they seem loud to me. Whatever, they are very cool bikes, congrats on a nice one. Seek out Brian Solex for any issues you may have, he knows all. I too say leave it stock!

Dude spikes on it would be sooooooo badass put a big one in the center of the bars!

I dont plan to really modify the bike.... there are ways to use existing holes to add things such as spikes and such. Just to give a personal touch. ;) Brian actually returned my call and he let me know i have a nice bike as well and if i need any help with anything solex related he said to simply give him a call... what a great guy..!!!! Just because people on here dont ride solex or have them(because i was told some time ago by a fellow peddler not to seek a solex cuz it cant be made to go fast) doesnt mean i cant join in the fun of the forum. I think this site rocks and will frequent it. I have plans to pick up a real project.... any suggestions as to what to start with...? As with my RC cars/trucks...... i have been bit by the bug......and i know all too well what that means...better bust out the checkbook.... lol ;)

Solex are awesome. Yeah they are slow but wow are they fun! Enjoy it and know that a new Solex will run about $2500 in the USA.

It's more beautiful the way it is without spikes and streamers. I friend of mine lived in France for a while and brought back a solex. We put it on a trike and had a blast boppin around the neighborhood. One thing to watch is the muffler. Don't let it come loose and get caught in the spokes. My buddy fucked himself up pretty bad that way.

i just bought a 79 schwinn trike to put a solex engine on.

it's my belief that solex and schwinn did this in the 70's. solex did make their own tho. someone in no. mich. has a solex trike.

How's it go? "Purple hearts,,Yellow Moons, green clovers,,,,,,

1299777202tytyt.jpg
1299777215.jpg
1230617756.jpg

i want a (running) solex SO BAD. it would replace my ciao.

I.R.E The first pic in the line up is bad ass.... the second well hell, their all cool.... so you can make a Solex look mean. XD

Stephen, the videos are misleading. The Solex engine is very quiet. If you were sitting on the front porch and someone rode by on the street, you would barely hear it. It sounds much louder when you are riding one because the engine is directly in front of you.

They are not very fast but the one you see on my profile would consistently go 24-25 mph. It was very tight and was unusually fast. I often wondered if it had been modified but I could see nothing to indicate it had been altered in any way.

my buddy had one growing up it was very quiet, not fast (15-20) and had a crazy awesome smoke screen when he rode it. They are cool though.

They are very fun bikes to cruise around on.

Brandon Compton /

I can't view it at work but I believe in the moped videos this video has a bunch of solexs racing

Its in the moped wiki video section

I actually put a wireless cats eye speedo on my solex and it will only go about 16.9 mph on flat smooth ground. considering i have the circumference of the 1.75x19 tire correct. my cats eye was dead on with my gps phone speedo so im inclined to believe the math is correct. i hooked it up to see what the gas mileage is. so far i have clocked 30 miles on just over a half tank. the tank size is 1/3 gallon. like scott and mike said, they are very quiet but when your over the motor in the seat you hear it a bit more. turn your head to the side of the bike and it sounds like a hummingbird... :)

my maximum speed was 20.4 mph down hill... i just aquired this moped and after the knowledge i have got from this site and solex owners of america, i plan to do what is called a carbon clean out.. and check the timing, make sure the decompression valve is seating properly and so on... i dont plan to alter the bike or "molest" it. i just may give it some of MY personality.. nothing that cant easily be put back to normal...totally cosmetic.

The diameter of the tire is actually 23".

Maximum top speed is officially 18.7 mph.

Very nice Solex....late 1973 S 3800, USA version.

http://solex3800usa.over-blog.com

Thanks for the kind words!

so what you are saying Brian is that i should calculate circumference by using 23 as my diameter for correct input to my cats eye speedo..?

That may change the game..lol... i don't really care about the speed of this solex but rather want to calculate the MPG to see what she cn still do. ;)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account