Newbie needs advice on 1979 Peugeot 103

Complete moped novice would love your advice/thoughts on the one I'm thinking about starting with - the Moped Wiki has been super helpful but I still need some guidance on price. A friend is parting with her moped because she has to move. It's a 1979 Peugeot 103 w/ Ninja exhaust, tires are a few months old and I'm waiting to hear whether it's a two or five coil. She's asking $1,200 OBO for it and I've attached a picture. I know that's more than the $600 recommended for newbies but it's in great shape and I can't find many others online to compare price. She has the title and original manual and I like the idea of buying from a friend.

Does the price seem fair?

What other questions should I be asking her?

Anyone have San Francisco specific advice they want to share whether I start with this moped or a different one?

Thanks so much!

Should I buy.jpg

Re: Newbie needs advice on 1979 Peugeot 103

Jimbo Grand Daddy /

It's a clean bike for sure. What other upgrades have been done? Kit? Carb? Keeping in mind that I'm a cheap ass, I would offer way less than $1200. Even if I wasn't a cheap ass, that would still be too much.

Sweet bike but without a kit/carb upgrade its a bit steep. That pipe is probably pretty useless on a stock cylinder. The good thing is you could slap a 70cc kit and 19mm phbg on there and rip with that big ass pipe.

Christian Giron /

The idea of buying from a friend is great, but your friend doesn't know the value of the moped.

You can buy super clean/custom/built up/rad magnums and other mopeds with hours of work on them for 1200 in the SF bay area that will reliably go 50-55 all day.

I would offer at most 600.

Brandon Compton /

also if i remember right cali requires you to have your ped registered...double check that though...but yeah I have a 103 with a g3 and i had a polini 50cc racing kit on it and that g3 ninja didn't make as much difference as the top one did. i'm still trying different stuff to make this 103 balls to the wall :)

but 1200 for a 103 that has an oversized pipe for a stock kit would be too much esp if there is no title and your state requires one.

The way that pipe is it looks to be hardly rideable...maybe it is just how they look in pics....1,200 is insane.

Gromosaurus Rex - Brad Pitt /

green was my fave 103 color

Andy Pabstalaniec /

Not worth $1200. doesn't no title = no registration? That's gonna be a problem if you ever get pulled over. Perhaps impound and then bye-bye cuz you can't prove you own it.

I have a fully kitted 103 with the pipe mounted properly, and way more rideable than that one, and would probably only fetch $1000 if I was lucky.

And a big exhaust like that on a stock cylinder with stock carb, prob worse than the stock exhaust.

I'd offer $600 if the stock pipe was included cuz yer gonna need to swap it back.

For $1200 that thing had better rub my belly and tell me what an amazing lover I am.... With no specs, 700 TOPS

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account