I do not believe that you need a lawyer unless she has no insurance. Even then you can always take her to small claims court.
Things to consider:
1. check your state's limits on small claims court. This will help you decide if you need a lawyerr
2. check your state's statues on length of time by which you need to file claims. Property claims and personal injury claims are ususlly different time periods. Do not be in a hurry. If you hurry you will lose benefits.
3. Do not talk to her insurance company!!!!!! They will try to low ball you for sure.
4. Make a file and get all your hospital and doctor's bills together. Keep copies of receipts for bandages etc. It will add up. Keep your old torn up clothes for evidence.
5. Do you have medical insurance? Remember, any money you get from her insurance will be claimed by your medical insurance provider to cover their services and charges.
6. Did the cops come? Get a copy of the police report
7. Take your time, it will all work out in the end.