project so far

a few pics of this top tank project i just started a week or two ago

i think its got some good geometry goin for it and not bad lookin either obviously this is before any prep or paint

im asking for opinions on the design only

IMG_0370[1].JPG
IMG_0369[1].JPG
IMG_0368[1].JPG

Re: project so far

Honestly it's hard to tell. Your pics are horrible. But I do like the early yamaha tanks as a top tank. They might be a little big. I've played around with one on one of my free spirits. With a little tweaking of the tank and it's tunnel you might just nail it. I would like to see it done well.

I like the disc thing happening with the forks-triple tree.

Swoopid Woody /

do u want your tank to sit at an angle like that? the top bar on motorcycles or top tanks slope upwards from seat to forks so tank sits correctly, not straight across

Woodbury Shortridge Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> do u want your tank to sit at an angle like that?

> the top bar on motorcycles or top tanks slope

> upwards from seat to forks so tank sits correctly,

> not straight across

Post some pics of it with the tank more straight/leveled (edited)

i know this pic is also shitty but my phone cam is all i got right now.. what u guys thinkin

IMG_0376[1].JPG

here is mine for more inspiration

^hawtness +1 Hunduh

ahah nice an yeah i've actually already been using yours as a one reference point! nice job

Swoopid Woody /

tank position looks way better, nice

. (edited)

matt v Wrote:

> ahah nice an yeah i've actually already been using

> yours as a one reference point! nice job

thanks man love them hobbits.

line up the bottom of your tank with the seat-pan, make it look like one continuous line from the bottom front of your tank all the way to the tail

lol i can't just make the tank sit flat, its a huge fucking tank and the weird little bump at the front gets in the way with the massive triples on this thing but im kinda happy with the tank having just the tinyest slant forward like in the last pic

but yeah hobbits all the way!

so ive been hard at work and i got a litttle better cam heres the update what do you think?

IMG_0412[1].JPG
IMG_0425[1].JPG

bump cuz its a slow dayyy

your seat cowl bums me out. The back of a cafe seat is supposed to mimic the shape of the back half of your tank.... because that's how they use to make those seats.... buy an extra tank, and cut it up.

i really dig your tank, but the seat cowl needs work.

Yea i hear ya its alot more harder to make a curved one specialy since i have the back hinged for alittle tool storage space its def onmy mind to round it out tho

Jeremy Sharp Wrote:

> The back of a cafe

> seat is supposed to mimic the shape of the back

> half of your tank.... because that's how they use

> to make those seats.... buy an extra tank, and cut

> it up.

Ummmm… not true. Yes it works, but that's not true.

matt v Wrote:

> so ive been hard at work and i got a litttle

> better cam heres the update what do you think?

this got WAY better. dont worry about the seat comments, you just do what you like who cares if its what its "supposed" to be. also agree about it not being true with gas tanks though.

its looking good, good paint work

it is DEFINITELY true about the gas tanks. In the late 50's, in England, before "glassing" was taught in shop class, they used extra tanks to form cowls. Then, occasionally, they'd use the front half of the tank they cut, to stretch their existing tank. Then they learned how to fiberglass.

make it look however you want, it's your ride, but history doesn't lie.

i like it. nice knee dents.

Salsa Salsa /

looks good, but the seat doesnt match the tank at all.

if you are having trouble making a curved seat cowl, try making it out of styrofoam first, then you can make a pattern for the pieces that make up the curve. and if you really can't get it right, you can also fiberglass over the foam and make it that way, but it seems like you really want a metal seat, are you powder coating it or something?

I still think you should go the fiberglass route dude

Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen /

Gotta concur with Owen. As the former owner of several early 70s Yamaha 650s, I grew to prefer the shape/style of those years, especially the paint and stripes of the 72s, I'm sorta mildly looking for one to put on the Cosmo.

The pitched forward look of your tank is a little discombobulating, but I think that's just the angle of the pic.

Great vid. I've been wanting to do my own bodywork for years. that was inspiring. Thanks

Looks good but I dont like the gas jug as a front tire idea very well. lokks kinda unsafe!

im gunna try and do up somthing similar to this but with more curve to match my tank.... thanks for all the input guys

no3-seat-sno3sbc-dunstall-002.jpg
cafe-racer-seat-dunstal-cb750-oil-tank-in-cowl09 (1).jpg

Cite your sources, Jeremy.

† CH∆D † /

Nice work. Keep at it

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account