moving from RVA to columbus ohio, anything i should know?

yuup moving to transfer to OSU and be with my girlfriend.

ive looked up some laws about ohio, but is there anything i should know about cops / parking / registering / speed limits / blah blah blah?

i have a 94 tomos sprint, goes about 45 or so on a good day but not kitted. picture in my profile

also, any cool people to ride with?

Re: moving from RVA to columbus ohio, anything i should know?

The three best things about Ohio...

1. Goetta

2. Mopeds

3. And now, pedShow

your tomos is on the list. there is no visual inspection, just bring in vin #. they'll ask color and what you paid for it. tell them $50 as it wasn't running. they prorate fees to your next birthday. they'll hand you a plate on the spot.

insurance is a debatable option. sign the form saying you have it. get it if you want it.

i live and gahanna and ride with johnny2stroke who lives in upper arlington. we get together at least once a week to ride. his son rides along and another friend. i stay in touch with bj from handybikes and he's going to start riding with us too every now and then.

pedShow's coming to town, cool. i've been meaning to send you some pics.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

after about two and half weeks, you get used to the smell.

JK....

haha thanks guys.

boot2, thanks for the info! very helpful. so pretty much you have to sign some papers about your ped but nothing is checked or validated? and you have to have a plate? VA is so slack haha

and what about cops? how fast can you go before "breaking the law"? how fast will they actually pull you over for?

upper arlingtons where my gf lives so ill be in that area often

please sends pics for pedshow if you got em!

i was just reading this page, and i read this:

The Ohio Revised Code defines a moped, or motorized bicycle, as any vehicle with two tandem wheels or one front and two rear wheels which is capable of being pedaled and is also equipped with a helper motor. The helper motor may not:

• have a piston displacement of more than 50 cubic centimeters;

• produce more than one brake horsepower; and

• propel the vehicle at a maximum speed greater than 20 mph on a level surface.

obviously the first 2 are not going to be able to be measured by police, but does that mean technically you arent supposed to ride over 20mph? if i see a cop i have to slow down that much??

thought it was 25 mph in ohio... but either way dont get clocked going over 30 or you may be asking for it. if you get stopped: yes it is under 50cc, yes it is under 1.5 horsepower. your bike looks fine, has pedals, headlight, taillight... should be good to go visually.

the bmv never asked me for a purchase price. there is also a good chance you will get someone on the other side of the counter that doesnt even know what a moped is so make sure you know the exact model you are registering under. ohio does not keep a list of vins either. anything you give them is good enough as far as they are concerned.

put a plate on and you should not have any issues with police at any speed as long as your not over the speed limit. most streets around town max speed limit is 45. around campus is 35. garage your bike or bring it in at night.

this is the page ive been reading.

im assuming i just tell them i have a bullet? pretty much the same as a sprint anyways

i can park on bike racks here right? heard about some places where thats not legal. stupid

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account