Road Trip!

Alright, where to begin....Kalamazoo, I guess: That's where we're from and that is the starting point of our 2800 mile journey beginning Thursday, August 2nd 2012! So this is the general plan (subject to all sorts of revision): Kalamazoo, MI>Chicago, IL>Lake Geneva, WI>Mississippi Crossing @ Praire du Chien, WI>Big Sioux crossing near Sioux Falls, SD>Missouri Crossing near Chamberlain, SD>Badlands Nat'l Park>Devil's Tower Nat'l Monument>Yellow Stone and Grand Tetons Nat'l Parks>THE ROCKIES!!!! (uh-oh)>Crater Lake Nat'l Park in OR>then on to Shelter Cove, CA.

Now, to top it all off we are nubies....(never owned a moped in my life until just last week, and neither have my colleagues) -I know the kind of response that can elicit on forums, believe me. I was once a nubie at sailing and the forums out there in sailing world are more discouraging than helpful.

BUT! I have heard from many a reputable source, here in Kalamazoo, that this forum is different. This forum is spilling over with the helpful sort of people that nubies can rely on. Experts in vintage mopeds, many of whom have either contemplated or executed their own distance trips. I have been told that this forum will be our best friend, and our ultimate resource. I am sure we will not be disappointed.

This is where I open the discussion: Your wisdom, please!

Re: Road Trip!

I'm not an expert but you should check this out, especially the "how I did it" page:

http://www.mopedtrip.com/

Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen /

You're in for a steep learning curve.

Attempting a long distance moped trip, in the summertime, with no moped experienced riders along is asking for frustration and failure.

(same response as on the OT)

Very cool, Jimbo! That is the only interesting thing I have thus far heard. We will send you a picture of us admiring them admiring them! To everyone else, now that we have put that predictable and condescending waste of time behind us, we would like to move on to more practical matters: e.g. Issues of geography; what kind of problems can we expect with changing elevations? Does anybody have experience in the mountains? What are common issues with things like Carbs at altitude? What kind of wear and tear can we expect from our break pads in the high Rockies? What is the maximum amount of time some of you have spent in the saddle? Does anyone have any knowledge of any part of our route? Do any of you live anywhere near our tentative route? Does anybody have plans for loading a ped for a distance journey, luggage and/or mechanical modifications? What about moped laws? Ours will be registered for three years in the state of michigan, do we need to worry about anything else? It must be stated that we WILL be doing this trip. It is not the craziest thing we have done. You guys are the experts, you have had years of experience with mopeds. Combined you probably have more years of moped experience than years that mopeds have existed. So, I am asking for your help. Nothing more, nothing less. Any positive contribution will be at the very least, appreciated. Thanks everybody!

You're leaving too late for one... but yep, without any experience, it's even hard to to tell you what all you need to know. Fly, penguin, fly!

You may want a quiver full of jets for your carburetors. You'll stretch out chains, wear down tires, probably soft seize a hundred times... and be calling mommy real fast. You all really shoulda rode and fiddled for awhile before trying this. I can't help but to think someone is trolling and sniffing chalk.

Chains and tires, of course. We are all experienced cyclists and two of us have mechanical experience just not with two strokes. Maybe we should fiddled for a while but we did not. We are going anyway. The history of this trip can be explained by saying that we considered cycling but didn't have the time, considered buying motorcycles but didn't have the cash so we decided on mopeds. We have from august 2nd to to August 22nd to make the trip then two of our party will head south from Shelter Cove (which is north of San Francisco) to Newport Beach, CA needing to arrive by Sunday, August 26th before the semester starts the next day.

Hmmmm… what you need is more time. You need to know how to COMPLETELY take your moped apart, put it in a barrel, roll the barrel over 20 times and put it all back together without a manual in one evening on the side of the road in the rain. Then again you might just cruise on through with zero complications at all. Riiiiiight, that's not gonna happen.

I agree. None of us have any misconceptions that nothing will go wrong. We are going to prepare for the worst. All weight will be parts, tools, gas, oil, food and water. Nothing else. No frills. We have given ourselves some wiggle room for time (I think) and we have enough cash to bail out and Amtrak or grey hound it if worse comes to absolute worse. But, we have every intention of getting our peds to Cali and driving them around all through the 2012-2013 academic year.

It will be a learning experience!

Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen /

So...with trolling in mind, and because I'm pinned down by the weather- what kind/brand of mopeds are you planning on riding?

cuz I heard a lot of good things about the Lazer 4T, right here on these forums.

You are going to love this! We don't even have all 4 peds lined up yet. Our mechanic just got a 1977 garelli up and running, a 1977 Tomos is in the works, and we are considering one of us riding an old 250cc Honda motorcycle to haul gear. We don't have a definite 3rd moped yet.

Russell Huddy /

20 days to go 2800 miles is 140 miles a day with no time for problems I don't think it's possible

8 hours a day? I've gone for about the same on a bicycle. How would it feel with a moped?

Russell Huddy /

Mechanically that's alot to ask of a ped even for a more experienced tuner

good luck

post it on google maps!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account