top tank moped shopping advice

Toward fall I will be on the market for a top tank moped. I'll be looking for a used one. Any suggestions on models or years? Any thing I should look out for and avoid (ones with obsolete parts that wear and are hard to find parts for) anything that usually goes wrong with them or advice like that. What's a good price range to shop with? Don't want anything too expensive but want to spend my money wisely. Thanks for any help budies!

Re: top tank moped shopping advice

Also are there any mods I should look out for? I don't know much about them but I know some can really mess up the moped. I don't mind mods that improve it but don't like ones that do it while hurting it

just look for derbi lagunas. everything else is meaningless.

Wolf Wizard /

Just look around. Some of the most common stock top tanks (nowadays everyone just makes them into top tanks.) are puch and garelli in my opinion. those are the ones I see the most around here. although if this will be your first moped, don't buy it if it don't run. and if you're not willing to work on it when it breaks (includes doing research and lots of reading) then don't buy one at all. Mopeds always break... literally all the time. but usually the fixes are simple. you just have to be willing to wrench and research. good luck. oh and for apuch or garelli top tank you're looking anywhere from 4-7 bones.

Not a bad price range and I currently have a beater batavus step through m48 which I have to tool with every once in a while. Don't mind research and small fixes. Want to stay away from a clutch rebuild is all. But carb work and such is no big deal. I'm also a metal work with over a decade of experience

Clutches are easy, just buy a new one and slap it in.

Puch magnum will run around 700-1000

Peugeot TSM can go for up to 2000

Derbi laguna will run 2000+

Garelli - 700

Step through, welded on crossbar, cheap fuel tank ~ $150

Are those used or new prices? And I would consider turn the step through into. A top tank but I also want another moped.

Emil Kniemel /

Pusher Aaron Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Step through, welded on crossbar, cheap fuel tank

> ~ $150

Yup.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?1,3052961,page=1

Those would be used prices, none of those mopeds have been made in the last 20 or so years. The only top tank moped that is still sold new would be the tomos LX. Many people dont like the bike because of the styling, but tomos are solid reliable bikes. A used tomos top tank in running condition can probably be had for around $350-400 in most areas. There are many nice tube frame mopeds that can be converted to a top tank if you're willing to do a little fabrication.

Any tutorials out there? Also what's the deal with anti top tank thoughts?

And as allways nothing about the SACHS G-3 or at least untill now that is ;~oh well just means more parts for your's truly ~!

Christian Giron /

this might be relevant to your interests

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/First_moped

That was extremely helpful. Thanks. Is there a link that describes the diffrence between top and step through tanks or is it just a style decision? And is it worth buying a new moped from a tomos dealer (if I decided on that brand) or would I be better getting another used one? I'm learning a lot due to the batavus being an older bike not taking care of so I'm slightly handy but still a novice. Thanks a bunch you all. Soon I'll have to start sending beers & pastries to you awesome people for all your help

Christian Giron /

complete styling decision

I wouldn't buy from a tomos dealer unless you had 1000+ to spend and REALLY didn't want to work on your mopeds so you had the warranty

otherwise, get soemthing for 300-400 and blast.

Tomoses and puchs are great starting bikes.

Top tanks are somewhat harder to find in most areas. I would say its all style. Some like step though bikes and some like top tanks. Now that I own 2 top tanks I love them !!!! My step throughs still have a strong hold on my heart though.

Puch free spirits, swinger, & pinto are easy to convert since the same frame is used on the top tanks.

Just pick a puch (not a maxi) and weld a bar across the top then the world will open her legs for ya. Find your local motorcycle scrap yard and pick a 1970's metal fuel tank. Make that shit work and you will love it more than any production top tank that you can buy.

Emil Kniemel /

in addition to styling, top tanks usually hold more gas. thats a reason i want to convert eventually.

Pusher aaron. I like what your saying. I'm actually gonna make my own tank though. Cut the outlet and tank cap parts off the old wone and make my own. Got 8 years experance with copper and steel forming aswell as blacksmithing skills.

Emil, I hear ya on more gas. Can only hold half a tank and I go on long rides. Riding all the way to providence later this month to the metal ponies rally (hopefully need some clutch work before hand) and I'm gonna have to srap a gas tank to the back so I can make it. Went from marion to dartmouth and half way through dartmouth ran outta gas.

Overpriced Parts /

700.00-900.00

Nope these will cost you double that

photo(206).JPG

As far as buying a new Tomos....

Arn't the newer ones restricted in some way and harder to make faster? I was told this last summer and it came up earlier today in a conversation...

yeah just go to salvage yard and pick up random tank and weld on crossbar

Those in the picture look amazing compared to my old beater, can really get something that nice for 700?

Detroit Drew Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> As far as buying a new Tomos....

>

> Arn't the newer ones restricted in some way and

> harder to make faster? I was told this last summer

> and it came up earlier today in a conversation...

Cdi's are rev limited, but that's not really a big deal. A new cdi will fix it if you really feel the need to go 50+

never buy any moped that mopedjay built

Check out this thread Brad

top tank conversion thread

Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen /

Don't get one of these shiny red plastic whores, the VIP clone two speed clutch is a cheezy bitch.

Honda passport, Cosmo, Whizzer 006.JPG

avanti aint that bad if you can get over how it looks

just replace the clutch rubbers with real garelli ones and they run great

Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen /

I hope that's all that's lacking, but I suspect more, like metallurgical failures in my future.

So far, the bike is bitchin

> As far as buying a new Tomos....

>

> Arn't the newer ones restricted in some way and

> harder to make faster? I was told this last summer

> and it came up earlier today in a conversation...

>Cdi's are rev limited, but that's not really a big deal. A new cdi will fix it if >you really feel the need to go 50+

what year did they start doing that?

The Reverend Defecator /

So Ken Roff you are why I can't find a stock Magnum...lol. And to OP there was a free Garelli Top Tank up in Maine a couple mos. ago so just keep looking you'll find a deal !! (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account