Buying Moped in CT, Registering in NY

CT doesn't require titles or registration for mopeds.

So does anyone have experience registering in NY with just a CT bill of sale?

Did the DMV ask for a notarized bill? Please let me know your experience.

Re: Buying Moped in CT, Registering in NY

Josh Rampulla /

lie on a mv 51 and 51b, say you bought it from your mom who had it for 10 years or something, as long as the vin is clean the dmv wont care

MV-51

MV-51 B (seller's proof of ownership "lost")

MV-82

DTF-802

hand-written bill of sale with price, VIN, signatures, addresses, date of sale

photo of VIN

driver's license

insurance card if class A or B

money

make the date of sale more than one year ago

forms: http://www.dmv.ny.gov/forms.htm

info: http://www.dmv.ny.gov/recreation.htm#mopeds

...have never needed a bill of sale notarized, but I guess it wouldn't hurt

Brian Solex Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> make the date of sale more than one year ago

Thanks! Curious--why would you make the date of sale more than a year ago?

Brian has it right.

it was a good day when we figured that formula out in albany, i havent been turned away for the last 5 mopeds i've registered.

the only gotcha if you have all that stuff is if you have the wrong weight - depending on who you have they will make you get a weight slip. yesterday i apparently got my variant weight wrong but the dude was cool and just changed it for me.

So they have a database of moped weights at the NYS DMV? If yes I assume they get these weights from the manufacturers specs?

Whats this weight slip you speak of? I'm guessing you have to go to a different desk at the DMV and get a slip that states the weight of the moped?

yes the weight on your form has to match whats in their technical info. in albany you get sent to the port of albany where you have to pay them to weight the bike and give you an official document stating it.

usually the owners manual of the moped will list the weight, though the variant manual was wrong, dang, you might also try calling tom at the technical services bureau, he might be able to tell you the weight to put down i never thought to try that, he is cool.

I see, thanks for the good info. Getting it weighed sounds like a PITA. By any chance do you know what the DMV acceptable weight of a Maxi is? Or I will call Tom.

I just checked the Maxi manual, dry weight is 97lbs. Hopefully DMV agrees with this and overlooks the part of the manual that says it goes up to 30MPH.

Any tip for getting it registered as class C?

97 definitely sounds right.

Usually they will ask you how fast it goes.

If it were me I would be pre-emptive and tell the DMV person at the beginning of your interaction that you have a moped with a top speed of 20mph that you are seeking a Class C registration for.

Maxis appear in the technical manual in all three of the classes, funnily enough.

Yeah um.. Sorry to disappoint you all but I'm not actually the king of R&B IRL. But I do listen to remix to Ignition before every ride to get pumped up.

If the date of sale is less than one year, the seller also has to fill out an MV-51 B

On the MV-51, put 20 mph as the peformance speed.

Make: Puch

Model: Maxi

Body type: class C moped

Excellent thanks a lot for the info I am a lot better prepared now.

NEMA Victor (3 Knees Down) /

I've always guessed the weight and I've been ok. Or maybe I am lucky?

DON'T FORGET YOUR VIN RUBBING. I tried a picture with them and they only take printed pictures... lazy bastards.

Thanks, will bring rubbing and printed pic to be safe.

All the paperwork and the photo/rubbing are sent to Albany. The DMV clerk will give you a non-transferrable registration certificate, a non-transferrable registration sticker, and a license plate. If you are class C, make sure there is a letter C in the license plate number...i.e. 54CA46

Everything gets checked out, and then they will send you a transferrable certificate and sticker if everything is cool.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account