Can't reach exhaust bolts

sookia sookia /

hello all, yet another question....so my 84 puch maxi seems to have an air leak, used some carb cleaner and figured out that it was where the exhaust attaches, i was going to tighten it down to see if that fixes it before buying a new gasket but i can't get my sockets to fit in between the heat fins and the bolts...is there a special tool i need to use and also exactly what size are the nuts??? thanx

Re: Can't reach exhaust bolts

10mm, try an open face wrench, also use a socket for a small ratchet, not the standard size, those are to wide

use a 1/4" ratchet

sookia sookia /

thanks, i was using the regular ones....looks like i'll be making a trip to harbor freight

Zeke Rigg /

Open ended wrench is the best for tight spots

Yep, quarter inch ratchet, 3" extension, and a 10mm socket.

Salsa Salsa /

I buy the cheapest one and than grind it thin on a bench grinder

M∆®†Y Køk€š /

Once you get them out (I have a really thin walled 10mm socket just for this). You can replace the bolts with 6mm allen bolts and it's a lot easier to work on after that.

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

For the OEM 10mm nuts, the easiest is a deep socket, at least for me. I really like to replace the OEM nuts with the brass long version Treats sells. WAY easier.

ɯɐpɐ ʞunʞs /

Definitely follow one of those two recommendations. 6mm allen head bolts are the best unless you have studs in the cylinder, then use those long nuts on Treats.

sookia sookia /

yeah they are studs, well i ended up grinding down some cheap sockets from harbor freight, and replaced them with the long nuts...thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account