Should I rebuild my ZA50? Or pay someone to do it?

My skill level with mopeds is limited, though I've fixed hundreds of bicycles so I know how to turn a wrench and I have a lot of tools including , bearing pullers, torque wrench, sockets, piston stop etc....

I've read all the threads, videos and wiki on ZA50 rebuilds. People talk a lot about how hard it is but really whats so hard about it?

Are people put off by the precise shimming needed at the end?

Or is it just hard relative to E50's that most people are used to?

I don't mind if it takes a couple days, at least I'll learn something.

I just want my moped to run good and reliable and not f it up.

Oh and I want it to go fast so I plan on kitting.

Re: Should I rebuild my ZA50? Or pay someone to do it?

I've never rebuilt one but I can't imagine it being any harder than a v1 or a35, I would reccomended doing it yourself, it's a great and fun learning process, get a kit for it, and after cracking it open, case match it to your new kit. Keep track of all shims and nuts, what I like to do it set up a video camera on the work stand and record everything as I'm taking it apart, I do that when rebuilding an unfamiliar motor, it's great to have manuals and diagrams, just take your time, start with a clean work space, and lay everything out in order as it was taken apart. Good luck man, make it fast.

to do it right you need the tools to measure the float of the crank bearings and a tool to measure the clutch shimming. you can get them on ebay for around 400.00. i`m doing mine with a dial indicator.

I would start with reading the section in the manual about rebuilding the za50 engine first then .. take note to what you may be thinking. You need to get the transmission with in spec of .002-.003 without them tools you may is well be guess tho it can be done with the methods mike refers to..

These are one of the most costly engines to rebuild.

its not that hard. you just need patience, to read alot (like Ed said the Puch service manual AND the spare parts manual in addition to the info on MA), tools, and shims

It's not that it's hard relative to anything, there are just more parts in a za50 and the case splits in a different way compared to an e50. it was my first solo build and i had little wrenching experience.

i didnt think it was all that costly. the crank is the single most expensive part and you can save money by having a new rod pressed in your stock crank.

you'd be spending money on at least these things:

Pucks/ shift dampeners

crank (or con rod plus press expenses)

crank bearings

seals

some people replace their case cover bearings if they are not rolling well

shims

new trans and case cover gaskets

some decent tools

i think it would be way more expensive to have someone else rebuild it, and my opinion is if you don't do it yourself you will A) not know how to diagnose or fix problems in the future B) never know what care an precision was taken to rebuild it.

it's kind of satisfying to get in there and learn something new

I agree with Ethan too, take pics, or line up your parts in the order you removed them.

do it!

Josh Leigh /

Can someone link me to a step by step explanation of the Shim-ing process using calipers and not the factory tool?

Thats the only step that I always get hung up on

cheers

Thanks for your responses.

@Mad Mike--how's the dial indicator method working for you?

Do not fear the ZA. Follow the service manual and specifications.

Check and double check your measurements and arithmetic when dealing with the end floats. You basically are measuring two distances 1) Left case surface to end of each shaft and 2) Right transmission cover surface to surface of bearing. Don't forget to factor in the thickness of the gasket in your arithmetic.

A dude has a blog:

http://mopedhq.blogspot.com/2009/04/za50-end-play-float-measuring.html

Michael Thomas /

Done two and in the middle of third.

Not that difficult, especially if you have rebuilt a ped motor before.

You will need tools, money and patience.

mine has almost 11k miles on it. new pucks. might rebuild soon. i'm a little nervous too. za's have more moving parts than anything i've seen before.

use that plasti-gauge shit for end float checking is what i hear. use a tourque wrench. take your time. i like to read a few different sets of instructions. the info is on MA.

i have done e 50s and ciao motors. never anything this complex tho. and za's are so precious. good luck! and take notes and stuff so you can help me do mine.

drunken mcfrenzy /

diy

Overpriced Parts /

"Za's are so precious" Wut? Your kids are precious. Your mom, your dad, your kin folk are precious. Life is precious. Za50's are a dime a dozen I've bought and sold them for 50-100 bucks maybe a little more if by the part. I've taken the lowly 1 hp seized ones to the scrap yard back in the day though I won't now. By the time puch moped stuff is rare gas engines will be banned anyway

zas are so easy i first rebuilt one when i was 16 and it ran great when i was done

i put 20,000 miles on one with no shims in it an no clutch pads just jb weld

they aint that precise of an engine that you have to worry about measurements and math and crap

Overpriced Parts /

What? ^^your silly.

With a kit you really need to worry.

this is why I like hobbit motors.

fast and simple.

the way I like it.

I didn't realize R. Kelly was into mopeds.

well i had all my trans parts laid out in order and covered with a old towel. and my friend decided he was going to wipe his hands with the towel and parts went everywhere. so not going so well at this point.

the dial indicator will work on crank float/end play but not so well on clutch shimming.

does anybody have a few pics of the clutch tool so i can try and make one.

Someone here bought a whole set of Puch tools awhile ago, and I'm pretty sure some or all of the ZA tools were in the lot. Can't remember who though.

http://secondstrokemopeds.com/pages/repairs-service

za50 needs specific tools

also, they suck a lot to rebuild

ive been thinkin the same

Ken Roff Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What? ^^your silly.

> With a kit you really need to worry.

i have never worried about kitting a za that had no shims or missing pieces or grease in the tranny cause it had a hole on the bottom from offroading

dude its a moped engine whats to be worried about its not an aircraft engine if it blows up you aint gonna die you can just take it apart and do it again

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account