MN people: Title problem!!!!!

I bought a 78 Puch with a lost title. I know the title # because they gave me the wrong part of the title ( they lost the important part). I've since lost contact with the seller and I want to know what I can do to make her street legal. It has plates just out of date tabs.

Re: MN people: Title problem!!!!!

You'll need to get a court order to transfer the ownership, since you dont have the actual title. Or you can wait 7 years for it to fall off the state's database, and then apply for title with photos and statement of facts.

Truth.

Gilpin Matthews /

The last reg sticker is for 2005. Can I reapply the title now or do I have to wait a year?

Luke “Funkenet” Hosfield /

Its been 7 years. Try it. Worst that happens is they say no.

Should be able to get one if 2005 was the last year. Mopeds and motorcycle plates are all February....try bringing in your statement of facts, etc, and try it; you have nothing to lose.

Gilpin Matthews /

sweet! Thanks y'all.

truth:)

Beard Road Bruiser (SoB) /

And if that doesnt work, give me a ring.

Shelly, the seven years wont be up until jan of 2013. The purge database that holds records over 3 years old only gets 'cleaned' once a year, every january. So, something from 2005 would still have a file for the next 6 months.

Why do they always have to throw a monkey wrench into things? ha ha

I still claim that MN is one of the easiest states in which to get titles.

Gilpin, if you can't get your title, throw a plate on from a different moped until next year

Aargh, sometimes bureaucracy drives me nuts!

There are changes to the statutes regulating bonds and motor vehicle sales that will become effective 8/1/2012. (MN Statute 168A.07 [Laws 2012, Chapter 287]). Right now DVS is creating the forms and policies to enact these changes, so I can share more in a few weeks.

Basically, if there is an ownership record on file but you dont have that title, you can obtain a surety bond to protect against that claim of ownership. Also required will be an affidavit and attestation statement indicating rightful ownership and that due diligence was made in attempting to contact the prior owner to obtain title.

So, wait 3 weeks and then go into a local office.

So do these changes affect applying a title for a vehicle that is long since on record?

Yep, the changes are for vehicles that are still on record with someone else listed as titled owner. So, come August, Gilpin can get a surety bond with State Farm or whoever, file an affidavit, and apply for title. The bond will protect him if the prior owner decides to assert their claim to ownership, and the affidavit will protect the state. The specifics of the process may change slightly, but this is the jist of it.

You're smart, Nick :-)

Gilpin Matthews /

Wow! Thanks....Nick you are smart. It'll be about Three weeks or so until I have it tuned to BLAST POWER. I truly appreciate all of your knowledge. This site/community is GREAT!

kim jensen /

Hey Nick, will those surity bonds be required on old bikes not on record as well?

Nope, the surety bonds are just for vehicles that have a record of ownership still on file. Anything that's off the system due to the 7-year retention will still be just photos, statement of facts and title app. The courts were sick of people clogging up the dockets with request for court orders for vehicle transfers, so the legislature made this change to shift the work load.

Gilpin Matthews /

what is an 'attestation statement' and how do I prove due dilligence was made?

Nothing is set in stone yet, since the policies are still being made, but if it's similar to the off-highway motorcycle policy that was effected in January, you just fill out the statement, and by signing that form you self-certify that you have tried to contact the prior owner to get a new title for the transfer. We likely wont require any sort of actual documentation to prove it.

I'll update when some real decisions are made.

Simple ~find someone who lives in a state that does not reqire a title in it,then have someone you trust fill you out a Bogus bill of sale; take said bill of sale to your DMV and they should take it for face value and make you out a new title~! (PS) Nevada is one of the many states that do this very thing for mopeds !no lic and no helmit and no ins .

^won't work if there is a record in MN, or any other state. If there is no record, then why bother? The existing process is easy enough with no record.

Gilpin Matthews /

Any word on the title rule changes?

No way, I was going to bump this but I got tired and didn't. I got plates yesterday for my Hobbit. Bought last year, no BoS, Just filled out a statement of facts and the title register form (didn't even have the guys address, knew his name though! ). Now I have to just wait. But Im legal to ride.

Either I need to come in for an inspection, or I will have a title in my name. Or maybe I can't title it and im screwed, not really sure !?!

Of course then I blew up my hobbit, sort of.

Lady didn't mention any new changes.

^if they plated you you will get title. MN does not hand out plates willy nilly. Did you get yellow recipt? if so title will arrive in mail.

Yeah, has yellow receipt of my application that was sent in.

Sweet! Well if they want an inspection, that is fine also. Weird thing is she never 'looked up' the vin to see if it was titled in the last 7/yrs. Who knows maybe she did.

Salsa Salsa /

Not true. They will give you plates. But you can still get a letter and say they found registration of the vehical. and you won't get a title.

No title yet.

Whats the odds of me getting a title for this Belgian PF50?

Don't fret if you haven't received your title yet. I applied for one in June and just received it on Saturday. I also applied for one for my Tri Rad in August and recieived it in less than a month. I have no idea why the one took so long when both were done at the same DMV, but I did get it.

Salsa Salsa /

I applied for a title 2 weeks ago and got it last Friday. But I applied fkr two bikes and only okne came so far. . .

Any title app that has photos will be sent to 'Special Services' for processing, and the woman that handles those applications only has a week backlog. Anything without photos will go to one of the 10 processing groups which have a 91 day backlog.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account