Anyone ever lose a bike tied to a Kryptonite Chain?

Christian Giron /

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1001&scid=1002&pid=1193

Locks. I know it's been beaten and there are numerous threads on it that I just re-read, but I'm actually wondering if anyone lost one of their bikes that was chained up with one of these bad boys.

I just moved to downtown charleston and I don't have a garage here so I need to invest in something better than harbor freight locks methinks, the area surrounding downtown really isn't the best.

Re: Anyone ever lose a bike tied to a Kryptonite Chain?

I did once, not a ped but a bicycle. left it locked in front of my regular bar overnight. the theives had to cut one link in two places to break the chain. not saying this is a bad investment, though. basically, the only thing that's going to get thru that chain is a big hydraulic cutter, or a grinder. btw, you can get case hardened chain like that at a hardware store. as long as it's that same golden yellow color, it's pretty much the same stuff. (edited)

With the right tools a thief can defeat any chain or lock. The best you can do is slow them down.

Christian Giron /

Grey, that exact reason is the reason why I might just buy two more harbor freight locks and just triple locking my two mopeds individually rather than buying one kryptonite chain and locking one with the HF and the more expensive one with the kryptonite

I just reallyyyyy wanted to see if these things actually deterred vs a typical HF lock.

Christian Giron /

Furthermore, people who have had their moped/bike stolen, did you get reimbursed by the kryptonite anti-theft protection?

im rocking 9mm new york this shit is ill!!

Sasha Alexander /

Chain diameter or ammo size?

Salsa Salsa /

these are two different brands. one is a kryptonite alcatraz

you can get a bike outta those, there's no such thing as an unbeatable lock. but they make it at least a serious pain in the ass. plus they insure your bike if you register it and can show that the lock was cut in the theft.

a better question is: has anyone ever successfully filed a refund claim with krypto or bulldog or any other "insured" locks?

Salsa Salsa /

I think they only pay if the lock fails and that's how they steal the bike. If they cut it, you only get a new lock.

Pablo Puchasso /

Yeah and you have to be left with enough of the broken lock to prove it on top of that...

Christian Giron /

yeah maize I saw that video... was pretty disappointed it was only 13 seconds and they didn't comment on the difficulty on either. If the kryptonite was much harder to break, but still breakable, it would stillb e worth the 40 more dollars incase some small runt tries to steal my shit.

and I read the entire legal form for that claim thing and it said if it fails at all you'll get paid whatever a store (dealer?) appraises your moped's value at up to ~1000 depending on your chain. I wonder if they'll allow treatland or some other reputable shop to chime in on the value of your moped

Oh, adn if this is only if the theif is kind enough to leave you your chain, if they take it, you're out of luck.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account