Ultrasonic Cleaner Tips

---------------- LaZer ------------* /

Just bought the $70 Harbor Trash Ultrasonic Cleaner and the instruction manual is garbage. I also purchased the white powder cleaner solution from Harbor Freight as well only to read that it isn't recommended to clean aluminum.

So, what I'm looking for is tips for use and what's the best cleaning solution. I've read that using distilled water is better than tap and that people run their cleaners up to 30 minutes prior to cleaning parts to get rid of any gases in the water.

On this forum, people have stated using Simple Green. Are you guys diluting this at the ratio on the bottle, or are you using it straight? Are there cleaners out there that work better than others?

I've done some experimenting last night using a junk carb and dirty pennies, and the results were poor. Also, my cleaner has an option for heating the water, but the manual doesn't state when or why to use it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks gurus!

Re: Ultrasonic Cleaner Tips

you can buy new nozzles and tips from vibracell

oh. simple green is awesome for moped things, it's a pretty harmless but effective degreaser. you want to use solution that's appropriate, so dont use degreaser on non greasy things... duh

don't use gas or anything flammable or it can ignite

heat is great, it helps melt and soften and break down gummy gunk n shit.\

Heat is important. I work in a bicycle shop that has one. We turn it on about an hour before we use it.....to get it nice and hot. I'm not sure about actually turning the ultrasonic on prior for that gas issue you mentioned. But I know heat is essential. Yes dilute that stuff too! Dawn dish washer detergent works really well. A chemist guy who makes the solutions for a an ultrasonic supplies business out her,e around Cincinnati told me his cleaners are based off of dawn.

hmm ill have to give this a go

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

You gave everyone else a go,

The soap we use at work is called Micro90. Some detergents will stain aluminum and plated parts. When I clean aluminum parts I usually use this stuff called Alconox, comes as a white powder.

Stefan Didizian /

i use the cleaning solution used for gun cleaning by crest ultrasonics. It works amazingly well with 150 degrees for 5 mins.

turn off the machine before putting your hand into the cleanering. It will so straight into the kidneys.. if not.

Better Fส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ster /

I've used formula 409, mean green, some cheap citrus degreaser, dish soap, and a bunch of other solvents.

I've found that this stuff called LA's Totally Awesome is pretty good on greasy dirty engine parts (like carbs).

If you do use a degreaser, don't leave aluminum parts in them too long. Some will etch the surface. Others will dissolve the part if you leave it in long enough.

It all really depends on what you want to clean though. If the cleaner breaks down whatever you want to remove, use it... unless it is something dangerous or something that will destroy your cleaner. I have no experience with ultrasonic specific cleaners, because I've always found something that would accomplish what I wanted.

The heat will soften some of the crap on your parts. Make the water nice and hot, then shut it off when the parts come out. Just like washing dishes, hot water is better for getting stuck on gunk off and disinfecting.

John Joedicke /

Pine Sol, put in and come back in a couple hours. Wash it down with water. Very little after cleanup of the gunk.

Pine sol!

John Joedicke /

Google parts cleaning with PineSol. Amazing stuff!

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12428469&postcount=1 (edited)

I've tried Dawn with heat and it works pretty well. Going to try pine sol next. Thanks guys.

John Joedicke /

Just did a MB5 gummed up carb. Pristine afterwards. Remove rubber parts!

Hydrofluoric acid will remove ALL oxidization. Whink at wallymart

FUCKING WATCH THAT STUFF. I got it on my fingers once, had both nails removed, both fingers cut open to the bone and calcium injected to nuetralize it. Worse than hemorrhoid surgery.

grease? This is the BESTEST

http://www.titanlabs.net/oilflo.htm

I work with chems all day

Quick note - DO NOT put any of the above in your machine. It will eat it faster than a fat kid with a doughnut. neutralize the acid with an alkaline, like ammonia, the solvent with a simple dish detergent and rinse all with water.

I can't say it enough- WATCH OUT WITH THE WINK. Use all safety measures, like glasses, respirator, long gloves. If you get any on your skin, rinse IMMEDIATELY.

John Joedicke /

Well who needs all those precautions.... just don't use it period.

because it works quickly. I may have overstated precautions, but better safe than sorry

http://www.ehow.com/how_4480346_remove-rust-from-aluminum.html

Stefan Didizian /

Van Koover Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Quick note - DO NOT put any of the above in your

> machine. It will eat it faster than a fat kid with

> a doughnut. neutralize the acid with an alkaline,

> like ammonia, the solvent with a simple dish

> detergent and rinse all with water.

> I can't say it enough- WATCH OUT WITH THE WINK.

> Use all safety measures, like glasses, respirator,

> long gloves. If you get any on your skin, rinse

> IMMEDIATELY.

actually the crest gun solvent and oil bath does wonders for engine cases. i put a e50 and av7 in it and its amazing. if its gentile on gun finishes its gentile on engine cases and the oil bath takes all remaining moisture out. Sorry bud had to call u out on it.

I use 100LL.

Call away. I ran a detailing business for years and what I posted is what the pros do. No offense taken.

Man, I should of read on before running out to wally world and scoring the Wink. I put it in my ultra sonic with high heat for 3 cycles. The parts got amazingly clean, but when I took them out the solution dripped on my feet. Worse yet I was wearing sandles!

John Joedicke /

Gnarly!

ɯɐpɐ ʞunʞs /

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

RADIUM CITY JO$HUA /

AHH FUCK, BRO

Guys, this stuff still burns, even after a good squirt with the water hose. It's like the worst athletes foot ever. Thinking of giving my feet a soak in some amonia water solution. Anyone know what mix ratio I should use? Maybe straight amonia for just a little bit with a water rinse. Either that or I thought about using the old ARM and Hammer like Goldbond. Kill two birds with one stone

RADIUM CITY JO$HUA /

Dump some vinegar on it.

matt boda1nz /

i use diesel to clean carbs.. works like a charm.. heat on.

Day 8. Still burns. Getting difficult to walk. Starting to smell funny...

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account