rust gas tank fix, wiki didnt tell me what kind

Going to clean out the gas tank tomorrow and I looked at wiki. I'm going to do the nut and wash shake then the vinegar and salt shake but it didn't say what type of vinegar, any one know?

Re: rust gas tank fix, wiki didnt tell me what kind

Plain old white vinegar. You can usually get a gallon if it pretty cheap. It's not as strong as other acids, but it'll take care of light dusty stuff.

Its got heavy rust but I didn't want to use anything too harsh

Try the vinegar and leave it in there a few days, shaking as often as you can stand.

I got 2 days. This is my main form of transportation and the gas tank fix will be a weekend project. Is that long enough?

Evapo-rust. Its pricey, but i've used it on 5 bikes (maxis and magnums) and it restored to shiny metal. even heavy rust, just may take a few treatments if super rusty.

In my experience evaporust is about the same strength as vinegar, but is much more expensive.

ya, maybe i'll give vinegar a go next time. mild acid, makes sense i guess. would b a lot cheaper. i definitely recycle the evaporust to save $$. used stuff goes in the next bike first treatment, etc. thanks

Shake the nuts and bolts around until you pass out, wake up, then repeat...

i've used the vineger and evaporust...i'll take the evaorust from now on...the vineger is cheap but it takes multiple flushings...i went to harbor frieght for the evaporust 22 bucks is worth it...one treatment, heavy rust, no flash rust and i was done...reuse as long as you can...turns black when it's no longer viable

Just use the works

fallout Survivor /

Just use hydrochloric (muriatic acid) or sulphuric acid. If are are worried dilute to to 20 percent.

Vinegar is weak and very slow.

I've heard multiple things, will try my own tomorrow, but apple cigar vinegar, three days in tank, or oxalic acid, found as wood bleach in hardware stores or products containing it. Use the second breifly, say 15 minutes then pour out and check.

Rinse with gasoline.

Hypchloric I'd cut with 1 to 1 with water

Dominic Valentino /

phosphoric acid at the home despot sold as deck bleach/etcher - works very quickly, like magic, be careful not to let it sit in there too long I suppose, also reuseable. Wear gloves, like the gauntlet rubber kitchen type and eye protection; wipe up any that spills, neutralize with water/baking soda after draining, but be carefull, it'll foam up like mad. Cool thing with phospho acid I've read/see is that it leaves a kinda layer of anti rust protection till you fill it with fuel. Looks like it's zinc coated. I tried vinegar and dilluted phospho with water, but the tanks instantly flash rusted after being emtptied. So now I use vinegar and bolts to knock the stuff inside loose, then phospho to eat whats left. Also, try bb's instead of nuts and bolts depending on how much of a labrynth you have in the tank's design (e.g. hobbit) (edited)

well...just my 2 cents worth...phospho cost the same if not more than evaporust and although safer than muratic it still can be nasty stuff...i think evaporust actually uses phospho in it...so i hear anyway.

i was sceptical of the evaporust but i'm now a believer...just let it sit overnight...also leaves a flash-proof coating if allowed to dry

Dominic Valentino /

I haven't used evaporust, but based on a search, it is more expensive than phospho, only $10 more, but HD always has Phospo, aside from harbor freight, I haven't seen evaporust locally

1 Gal Phospho: $16.00

1 Gal Evaoprust: $25 plus shipping or goto harborfreight?

Stefan Didizian /

i saw a utube vid of a guy putting nuts and shit in his tank wrapping it up in blankets and sticking it in a clothes dryer. then did a vinager after and the tank came out pristine.

balsamic smells best

Ha, well seeing how I use the laundry mat I think that would be a fun scene

ha! i'd like to see someone shove a frame with a tank in a dryer...

i got my evaporust for 22 at harbor so yeah i guess the phospho may be cheaper...but...i've already bought the evapo so i'm technically sold on it...

muriatic never did me wrong and it works fucking fast.

M∆®†Y Køk€š /

I've done a couple of tanks with plain white vinegar and then redcoated them. It took on average 3 days for me and these were really really rusty tanks, but it worked well. The bonus to vinegar for me is I don't have to be super careful about spilling and stuff, which is good because I'm a big clumsy oaf.

the electro method works great. and it's totally fine to do it in the house. i was popping the little hydrogen bubbles with a lighter. it happens so slow that it's pretty hard to blow anything up. i used one of those portable jump start things. kept it plugged in to keep it charged while it worked the magic.

i used red coat once. let it dry for a week. still leaked. i blame ethanol.

kim jensen /

muriatic acid, works great! Four parts water, one part acid. Add acid to water, NOT the other way round. Remove petcock, plug with rubber stopper, let sit overnight. Clean as a whistle and no rust again in 5 yrs! Rinse with milder acid, coke, vinigar, water, they spray in some wd 40 to coat insides.

DAM Kevin Boyd /

So if I use the muratic acid technique. First purchase muratic acid at home depot. Take my petcock off. Next shake nuts and bolts in my tank. Then remove them and put muratic acid in the tank deluted One part acid 3 parts water. Plog petcock with rubber stoper. Fill tank up withmix of water and muratic acid. Let sit over night. Drain in the morning. Rinse with lots of water. Pour same mixture in tank and let sit over night again if still not shinny. Drain rise with water. Spray with WD40. Put gas in bike. Ride bike right

If you use Muratic acid, keep some baking soda near by incase you spill that shit. Baking soad neutralizes the acid. Tie your bolts and washers to a piece of string and space them out a couple inches. This will help you get them all out when your done shaking. If you plan to keep the nuts and bolts in there with the acid don't use string. After you rinse with water a couple times, Do a rinse with a cheap dollar store bottle of isopropyl alcohol. It will bond with the water and E-Va-Poo-rate it totally. Fill with pre-mix and you should be good.

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

^^ or use a length of chain with some square or six sided nut to it. I've had the best luck with the Muriatic, but do it for about 20 min & empty & check & put it back in if it needs more. You don't want to burn a hole in the tank, which it is entirely possible to do with strong acid. After you're pleased with the results you want, flush well with baking soda & water, then some acetone to get all the water out & then a heavy premix so the oil gets everywhere.

I thru it in the dryer with no heat...with phosphoric acid AKA CLR, and SS tumbling media.

Do I need to take my petcock off. What should I plug it with? This is a vespa ciao, so I guess I will have to shake the whole bike.

If your using Muratic acid and the cock is Aluminum, yes take it off and use a rubber stopper/plug/.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account