a3 tail light bulb saftey?

every time i see someone with an a3 somebody tells them to check the tail light bulb because if it is out then the bike will not be able to get spark....anyway i have been messing with my a3 and took the bulb out and the coil still gets power even if the bulb is out and looking at the wiring diagram i see no reason why it would not start without a light.

maybe i am missing something anybody know anything about it?

Re: a3 tail light bulb saftey?

Open up a photo of the three wire A3 wiring diagram. Notice that the source coil for the ignition has two leads, a black wire and a blue wire. The black wire runs to the HT Ignition coil and the kill switch. The blue wire runs to the brake switches, and brake light, etc before being grounded through the brake light. When the blue wire is no longer grounded, you no longer get power from the source coil through the black wire and therefore no spark.

ohhh ok i must have been thinking that the a3 only came with the two wires coming from the stator the yellow and black, thank you very much lol it was about to drive me up a wall making me think i was crazy

The later A3's had a two wire system, and the A35's did as well. These models don't have the same setup, and will run with a blown bulb.

I have an A3 that kills spark only when the brake light comes on. As in, when you pull the brake, the brake light comes on and also kills the spark unless you release it. Still haven't figured that one out.

maybe if you wire a separate kill switch it would solve the problem... i must be grounding the coil threw the brake switch some how

Joey, the wrong bulb will light but kill spark. It changes the resistance. Make sure you are running the correct voltage and wattage bulb

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account