MB5 HPI... Who's done it?

Josh Besecker /

Looking for a little advise. MB5 Hpi... who's done it? I've searched an found a few threads from years ago... but no solid tuning specs. So if you've done "it" share the wealth!!! what worked? what didn't? was it worth it? what eventually broke? And yeeee for larger swingarms!!!

2012-06-29_09-19-18_425.jpg

Re: MB5 HPI... Who's done it?

I've always wanted an MB5,I never see any around here.

Sorry buddy you are breaking new ground here. Methinks You need Whitey and Naz..

not a Baron Asshole /

in all honesty you should just swap engines, at the most you could ever make with these is 10hp, the common 85cc swap gets you 30! Cost per HP isn't great , especially when you are talking a CDI. And you can thank me when you crush most anything below 600cc's!

my buddy had HPI on his mb5 I will call him and have him post his results

Cant you stick a cr80 hpi on there?

Re: MB5

Is there a site specific to this bike? I'd like one or another 50cc bike 'though they are hard to find.

bb

John Joedicke /

There is a Yahoo group but not very active.

Glen Kuykendall /

Here are some pics of an MB5 with a CR80 engine if I'm not mistaken. Not my bike but quite impressive. They had to get creative and fabricate the radiator setup, and even added some downtubes to the frame. I bet it's scary fast!

Honda mb5 with CR80 engine.jpg
Honda mb5 with CR80 engine 5.jpg
Honda mb5 with CR80 engine 2.jpg

John Joedicke /

That stirs the soul. Lovely clean job on the modification. Any more info on it?

Jerry Graham /

Someone did a really nice job on the conversion, wonder how many hours were spent ? More info would be appreciated.

That motor swapped MB5 just blew my mind. I am now officially on the hunt for a 90's era CR60/80 donor bike. Naz just got done moving a KX65 motor into a Honda NSR50 chassis and did similar work in terms of a lower cradle for the motor mounts, full custom setup for chain alignment etc, and it looks phenomenal and screams. The NSR frame and suspension etc tamed the KX beastliness just a little, and it seems like it will be an amazing race setup for the fast as heck little kid it's being built for. I rode the KX65 before the motor was swapped out and that little fucker was the scariest thing I think I've ever ridden. And I own a Vmax.

Josh, I've done a bunch of stuff with the HPI on the Monza . The HPI is pretty much the same for all bikes so the information should translate. It is an awesome CDI, but the accessory coil is a piece of shit. I finally had to go to a constant loss battery system.

Glen,

That MB5 belongs to fellow Bat Bryan C. You can find lots of photos of it on Bats in the group ride section. The engine fitted is from a CR85, and the bike is incredibly quick. The guy that did the conversion lives in SoCal. He did such a fantastic job that the bike looks stock.

You can see Bryan and the bike a little bit in this video--he does the Jesus Cross.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account