Maryland Senate Bill 309...anyone make sense of this yet?

So in Maryland we have a bill that has passed, and it will go into effect in October of 2012. They were thinking of making Maryland a title and registration state, AND insurance, but the registration part got struck out.

The insurance part Im not sure about.

http://legiscan.com/gaits/text/643274

It appears that in October, we will have to title our mopeds and get some sort of permanent sticker. Also we will have to wear helmets and eye protection.

I am confused about the insurance issue...."allows insurance companies to exclude mopeds or motor scooters from benefits" so letting insurance companies NOT cover you, but are they requiring any insurance?

"requiring an owner or prospective owner of a moped or motor

scooter to obtain or maintain certain security"===what does that mean? Is that insurance?

Anyway what does that mean for us with 35 year old peds? The state of Maryland is AWFUL when it comes to trailers. I have a trailer that was originally sold in a state that did NOT require titles for trailers when it was made way back in '84, and Maryland has NO provision for titling such a trailer, I had to get a Maine tag for it. (unless you lie and say it is a homemade trailer, then they will issue you a title) SO point is, if my Ped never had a title or it did but its been lost for 30 years, I wonder if I will be able to continue to ride it?!?!?

Really, the $20 fee and the excise tax....its just another way for that fucking crook Omalley to put his hands in our pockets. (edited)

Re: Maryland Senate Bill 309...anyone make sense of this yet?

This will help not only us but other titled states! yey!

insurance is no biggie, i'm getting quotes from insurance co's, then playing them against each other.

titling is the thorn in my ass. no way i can afford titling service for 15+ peds.

taking advantage of the grace period is the way to go, save you hundreds per ped.

the problem i'm running into is MVA non -compliance.

they don't want to gear up to handle peds and certs of origin or notorized BOS.

this fiscal and policy note details the expected expenses to the mva.

it's going to cost them a lot of money for a minor (to them) service.

they have no incentive to prepare for the (estimated) 7k peds and scooters.

truth is, it's between 300 and 500 mopeds that will be registered in md.

(numbers taken from MA, riders, MD.)

 Legislative Services assumes that about 3,500 motor scooters are currently in use in Maryland;

 in the absence of data, it is assumed that the current number of mopeds and moped sales are the same as for motor scooters;

translated, they didn't even look for statistics.

yes, moped army is the definitive census of US moped owners.

if anyone can do comparitive numbers for a title state count vs MA numbers, i'd like to see the differences.

end result, if i'm a full card carrying member of society, i expect full rights when driving, as long as i'm not impeding traffic.

if anyone in md has found a sympathetic MVA employee that is willing to deal with titling and registration for mopeds, please post specifics.

i will drive 100's of miles to get this done before the deadline.

lets hear your mva stories.

Thanks for the link. That said they expect insurance to average 600 a year. I have a motorcycle that costs me $115 a year for insurance so I doubt it would be that much.

So it seems there will be only the $5 sticker fee before 10/2012, then $20 for the titling fee.

I would hope that the MVA would have some way to issue a title....given that for the last 50 years no moped has needed a title in maryland, they cant assume everyone has a title for their peds, right? The very term titling seems to imply they will issue one.... I don't know.

Yeah those "title services" are fun. Give them $150 and some bill of sale and they will issue you some new mexico title or some such BS. If you had to for that for all your peds it would SUCK!

DMV don't care.

Alrighty...I got a hold of one of the senators who sponsored the bill. MVA is working to implement the online system for titling shortly before October 1st.

Basically if you have a VIN number, you certify that you own the moped and then they issue you the title and the permanent sticker online. Simple as that. No title service needed. THe grace period will be until October of 2013 during which the $20 fee will be waived, leaving only the $5 sticker fee.

And yes, that sucks in a way because some fucktard with a stolen scoot can get a title for it. (of course they could anyway if they wanted to pay the $$$ for one of those out of state horseshit title services) A year from now, it will be harder to buy and sell stolen peds in MD though so thats a good thing.

Nice work Neil. What senator was this? Did he clarify what kind of insurance is required?

Christian Giron /

I wonder if people from other states that need titles could use somenoe from MD or use it themselves

I dont need it, just a thought.

bless us with titles .. yay! +1

Luke “Funkenet” Hosfield /

Cry me a river.

Danny STringer /

Neil, you know what this website adress will be? Just to be clear, the total title sticker cost will be $25, yes?

Tal Reznikov /

great, now i cant ride in MD anymore.

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU

Perfekt Timing Angel /

Titles, helmets, and stickers are cool in my book, but the insurance part (if it's required) is horseshit.

I'm still pretty skeptical that MVA is just gonna let us waltz out with titles. I'm anticipating a catch 22 in their 'waived title fee' grace period with some ridiculous non-obtainable proof-of-ownership process.

Also, have fun buying mopeds in the future. $20 to get a new title, but I bet they'll still charge you $100 to transfer a moped title.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account