boggin down and new to this

I just went on a ride and the motor bogged down a few times to the point where I had to pedal to keep it running and it died a time or two. Even once while going down hill it ran fine if I let go of the throttle but when I gave it gas I could feel the engine bogging. What could it be? Carburator? Bad fuel oil mix? What? Wanna get an idea before I start ripping stuff apart cause I'm still learning and what takes you an hour could take me a day. Thanks for any help

Re: boggin down and new to this

sounds like air leak.

1. Start moped.

2. Let moped warm up.

3. start spraying the fallowing areas one by one with carb cleaner

-Cylinder (jug) to case

-Cylinder (jug) to head

-Cylinder (jug) to exhaust

-Cylinder (jug) to intake

-Intake to carb

If idle speeds up or ped dies, You found your leak! Check that and report back.

Brad Eadie /

Nathan this will sound bad but what is the cylinder (jug) I was brought up with out any mechanical knowledge and beside small repairs on car this is my first major vehicle project. Bob the petcock has been cleaned and the fuel flow is fine. Unsure if the carb was cleaned or not. Also my wiring is completely shot and I heard that could be an issue too. Thanks so far guys. These forums are very helpful

Okay I see you have a Batavus.the cylinder is what the piston is inside of, it has two parts. see where your spark plug goes? that's your cylinder. But that's the head. the dark cast iron part is the jug.

but yes also check the carb!

fuel starve....

Welcome to mopeds my man, I had a Batavus as my first bike, did the same shit, air leak and spark were my issues.

Brad Eadie /

Its night so I just took a quick look. The carb on this bike is on the bottom I believe I will attempt to clean it tomorrow (first time) when looking at it the black piece going into it from the top of it seems cracked and held together with a zip tie. I believe this is my problem. Don't know what it is but I'm sure a zip tie won't be a quality fix. That would be an air leak problem I'm guessing now. Does anyone know where to find that piece and what's it called? This is a beater bike so I just need it to run good but not look pretty. The picture I'm showing are the carb, correct? I believe only one of the two black parts going into it on top are broken

carb01.jpg
carb02.jpg

that shouldnt matter, but your airbox/airfilter is missing. I bet its that and/or airleaks.

Brad Eadie /

Really, where does it go?

Have you read the wiki and Freds Guide?

Brad Eadie /

I've looked at the m48 wiki. Are there pictures I could look at somewhere?

Brad Eadie /

Read the bit that was in wiki for air filters. Says I can use some old panty hose, how effective would that be? There was not picture so unsure where to put this

♣Slew Foot♣ /

it wouldn't bogg totally out for lack of airbox or filter, first check the petcock at the tank for flow.

try it without the gas cap, if it clears it up, its a clogged vent hole in the cap. note: the petcock has a screen filter on it inside the tank also.

then there is a small screen cup (#14) that is inside the carbs fuel inlet that has to be cleared.

also check the banjo (#15) itself is not clogged same with the jet (#7) and holder (#6) also the needle seat (#16)

the brakes have to be operational or bypassed see chart, some have 3 wires some 5.

batavussm062.jpg
Magneto-Wires-Chart1-591x800.jpg

Brad Eadie /

I sprayed carb cleaner through the fual intake of the carb and where the air box goes. Ran fine started up no problem. But after a short ride it bogged down again. My clutch could be sticking or my choke. Should I replace them or is there a fix I can do with out ordering parts? It runs fine when up on the stand but when I ride maybe something gets shaked around during bumps? And thanks so much for the diagrams!

Spray it backwards thru the float needle hole..

You do know you have to take off the carb and take it apart to clean it right?

Brad Eadie /

I do know to clean it it needs to be taken apart but I just wanted to see if it ran before I got into that hot mess. Seems to be going good now though. I belive my main problem was that the clutch catches if I break to a stop from a speed of 20 or more. When it would die I'd pedal it and the clutch would be ingaged with out me hold it down. Now I pump it while I brake and have no problems.

Brad Eadie /

Just came back from a ride, pump the clutch working fine while braking. Letting the engine cool down so I can see how it starts cold.

Those Encarwi carbs run better with the airbox installed. I think it's because they run lean without the airbox/filter slowing the intake velocity down. They also are finicky because they have no atomizer, or even a slide needle at all to tune with.

Clean the carb well & try restricting the air flow to see if it runs better. It worked for me on a setup that I was tuning last week.

Put 2 layers of pantyhose over where the air filter/ box should be/ secure it however you can. zip ties duct tape ect.

Brad Eadie /

Put the panty hose on & it cause it to flood. Buying a replacment pedal shaft and left pedal (bought the bike with them snapped off) been rigging up stuff but fails after a ride or two. So asking about the old air filter and throw that on.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account