First Noped and Loving It!

Hi everyone,

I just started riding my very first noped only a few days ago. The bike is a Honda Express NC50, purchased by my Dad new in '78 for my Mom. Well, for various reasons, Mom hardly ever rode it and it was placed in storage almost immediately after it was purchased. 110.5 miles on it to be exact.

Lately Dad started bugging me to take it home and get it out of his house, so a few weeks back I did just that.

Other than normal dirt and grime, the cosmetics of the bike were nice, but the carb was full a varnish, the plug fouled to hell, the air filter element had deteriorated to nothing, a couple of the cables were stuck, most of the light bulbs were burned out, the battery was dead, it was leaking gas all over the place, it was next to impossible to start, and when it did start, it smoked like a bug sprayer and could barely pull itself along at 10 MPH.

Anyway, I've been spending some of my free time over the last few weeks working on repairing and restoring it back to as close to it's original condition as possible, and now I can wind it up and it starts on the first try (almost) every time, accelerates nicely, cruises well at 20 MPH and it will even pull my 220 lb. lard butt along at about 26 MPH.

I just wanted to thank all of the folks here for sharing your knowledge. I could not have gotten this far without the valuable information contained within these forum postings.

FWIW, I've gotten so jazzed with this thing, that I created a slightly silly slideshow presentation to highlight it's near completion. Yeah, I did get a bit carried away, and it is sort of long, but hey, I am really proud of the bike.

If you've got some time, please feel free to take a look.

-Tom

1978_Honda_Express_NC50_1300.jpg
1978_Honda_Express_NC50_1600.jpg

Re: First Noped and Loving It!

That bike looks mint. My first ped was an '80 NC50, loved it so much. Have fun man.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

You're getting into the moped game almost as late as me. I just love a clean original.

Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen /

Nice and clean.

I like the quirky Honda winder start.

Hot damn you got a brand new bike !!!!

Overpriced Parts /

Very nice bike but 26mph yikes how do you keep from getting mowed down from cagers

I don't give a fuck what people say. The express and express ii are some of the best "mopeds" out. I bought for cheap, kitted her and she rips. It's my every day rider

I like it. Curious about the lack of visible chain. What is the drivetrain setup on these Hondas? Congrats. Enjoy.

Rock on. with a bit more tweaking, you should see 30 mph.

Thanks! Tell you what, I can't believe I waited so long to bring this thing home. Dad had been bugging me for about a year to take it and I kept telling myself, "What the hell am I going to do with this thing, just more junk in my basement instead of his."

Just a couple of rides and boy was I wrong! What a blast! Should of done this a long time ago!

New? Well not for long, I've put about 70 miles on it in 2 days. Don't know what the average is, but that seems like a lot to me.

Yeah I am beginnig to find that out quickly. For now I've been trying to limit my riding to residential streets and a couple of local parks only. Most major streets around here are 30 MPH+ speed limit and of course everyone's going lot faster than that.

Yeah, a bit more speed would be nice, but I thought about 25 MPH was all you could get out of one of these without modifications. I'm really determined on keeping it 100% stock.

Woo! Hoo! the rest of the light bulbs came in the mail today! Should be fully illuminated by tomorrow. Gonna have to go for a night ride!

Luke “Funkenet” Hosfield /

Use the flat view on the forums, its easier.

did you change the fluid in the transmission?

kevin a Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> did you change the fluid in the transmission?

Yep, that was one of the first things I did with it. The old oil that came out was a strange color though. Kind of a concrete mix color. I didn't lay the bike on it's side and remove the cover, but instead propped the kickstand up on an old patio block and rocked the bike back and forth a bunch of times to get out as much of the old oil as possible.

Then I filled it with some el-cheapo 10w-30, went around the block a couple of times, came back, put it back up on the patio block, repeated the process, and drained it again.

Final fill was with Lucas Synthetic 10w40.

The bike did feel like it ran better after this. Smoother acceleration.

I'll probably change it again in a couple of weeks or so. (edited)

oil_001.jpg
oil_002.jpg

Michael Thomas /

Yea...why the hell did you wait so long? Wish I had somebody trying to give me one! NC50 was my first also, owned one as a kid that someone gave to my dad and we fixed up, rode it for several years before going off to college. Bought one e few years back to restore, got it running, cleaned up, rode the shit out of it, my kids rode the shit out of it. Unless yours is an Iowa edition. should go 30ish. Mine would hit 32-34 on a flat with my 250 lbs.

That's a good question. I don't really know why I waited so long. Guess I thought it would not interest me or something.

All I know is that a couple of days ago it rained all day here and I was really bummed out not riding. I've gotten in a habit now of going out on it everyday. I really look forward to it.

I guess it's kind of like my time alone to get away from it all. I'm always in a great mood when I get back.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

I guess it's kind of like my time alone to get away from it all. I'm always in a great mood when I get back.

Welcome to mopeds. You're a right lane rebel now.

impressive!

or should i say EXpressive?! hahahahahaahhahaaalaolololO.LOLLOLKHAGHAHAWOWOWOWOW

so minty

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account