Need Help on Idling & Spark Plug Fouling Probl

Larry Shaber /

"I just put a used carb on my 1977 Motobecane. It starts fine, but afetr running it for a few minutes, the bike stalls out. When I pull the spark plug out, it's covered with a dry back powdery substance. After I clean the plug up, it starts up fine again and than the same thing happens all over. Unless I keep gunning the throttle, the bike will not run at idle on it's own. Any suggestions? I have no idea when the points and condensor were last changed and was wondering if this could be a factor. "

Re: Need Help on Idling & Spark Plug Fouling P

"I would check your points out. I was having the same problems, and adjusting the points fixed it.<p><p>: I just put a used carb on my 1977 Motobecane. It starts fine, but afetr running it for a few minutes, the bike stalls out. When I pull the spark plug out, it's covered with a dry back powdery substance. After I clean the plug up, it starts up fine again and than the same thing happens all over. Unless I keep gunning the throttle, the bike will not run at idle on it's own. Any suggestions? I have no idea when the points and condensor were last changed and was wondering if this could be a factor. <p>"

Re: Need Help on Idling &amp; Spark Plug Fouling P

": I just put a used carb on my 1977 Motobecane. It starts fine, but afetr running it for a few minutes, the bike stalls out. When I pull the spark plug out, it's covered with a dry back powdery substance. After I clean the plug up, it starts up fine again and than the same thing happens all over. Unless I keep gunning the throttle, the bike will not run at idle on it's own. Any suggestions? I have no idea when the points and condensor were last changed and was wondering if this could be a factor. <br>I don't know about 2cycles, but with a 4cycle, <br>you could put in a hotter plug. My vintage <br>Cushman was fouling a plug in about 10 miles so <br>I just got a higher heat range plug and it hasn't <br>done it since. Don't go any higher than necessary, <br>because you might burn a piston or something.<br>Try new points and condenser first."

Jon Dalton /

"My 4 stroke honda does the same thing - I put a new spark plug in it and it ran fine for a while, then it started quitting and wouldn't run again until I filed the spark plug put it back in again, then it would be good for a few minutes and then quit. Th"

": I just put a used carb on my 1977 Motobecane. It starts fine, but afetr running it for a few minutes, the bike stalls out. When I pull the spark plug out, it's covered with a dry back powdery substance. After I clean the plug up, it starts up fine again"

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account