Sprockets for General 5 Star

Mike Ciric /

I'm clueless what to do for sprockets on my General 5 Star. The Minarelli rips and is dying for a smaller sprocket out back. Thing is, most people have never heard of a 3 bolt rear sprocket. Anyone got a solution?

Re: Sprockets for General 5 Star

Smallest I ever found for stock general's for the rear wheel was 40.. from Handy Bikes which is no more.. if you can get a 40, you're probably running 11 drive which is a gear ratio of 3.63 - which is pretty good - some people would say that's the best for V1's..

Next solution, get a different rear wheel.. one that allows for smaller sprockets.. I've never taken that route, maybe someone can chime in on wheels they've used successfully (maybe used a different swingarm or just shimed it?) (I feel like a morini wheel works... I think that's what someone I know used.. Pacer wheel too.. and lastly unconfirmed but Tomos A35 sprockets will fit on some Italian wheels)

Also, you could find a 12 drive sprocket and depending on what your stock rear is that might get you closer to where you want to be.. anything between 42 to 44 would get you 3.5 to 3.6+..

Lastly.. find a weird sprocket on Ebay with and ID smaller than the General and enough material for a new bolt pattern.. find a machinist to throw it on a lathe.. viola.. (can be pricey unless you're hooking up with the machinist)

Here is a link to an old thread about V1 gear ratio's:

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?1,889405,889405#msg-889405

Probably would want a diff rear wheel. The sachs one came with the four bolt on the rear sprocket meaning you can make it work with tomos sprockets.

I forget the name but there is a company that makes a custom for you at $54...

Mike Ciric /
piff OP

If the name comes to you, give me a shout. I've got a 46t out back. I'd love to rock a 38-40. I figure I'll be knocking on the 40mph door with stock displacement and pipe.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account