MN people

Why is it you can not buy a new 49cc bike in this state, and not have a Motorcycle plate on it? IE Metropolitan, Vino, Vespa. The only reason I can think of is that they go 40 or so stock, is that it? Anyone know? Or do they want to phase out the moped class of vehicles?

Re: MN people

Salsa Salsa /

ha? "and not have a Motorcycle plate on it?" "do they want to phase out the moped class of vehicles?"

i am confused

M∆®†Y Køk€š /

ya it's the speed, it can't exceed 30 mph on flat pavement if it's going to get titled as a moped.

Luke “Funkenet” Hosfield /

Yeah what about ruckus'? They are 50cc can exceed 30mph and are normally registered as mopeds.

M∆®†Y Køk€š /

There not supposed to be, but that said it just comes down to who's working behind the desk at the dmv. If they're somewhat knowledgable about makes and models of scooters and mopeds and which 49cc ones actually go faster then 30 then you're gonna end up with a motorcycle plate, if not (most often) you'll end up with a moped plate after you tell them it's 49cc.

If I had one I wanted to title as a moped I'd just go from DMV to DMV until I found someone that didn't know any better.

I could've titled my honda passport 70cc as a moped the other day, the lady was going to but then she asked me how fast it goes and then cc's. Makes no difference to me, i got my endorsement. I suppose for other people but oah well.

Now to title my hobbit as a semi! Bwa ha haha

Stephen Keller /

Thanks all, I just see ads for newer Vespa 50's and Metro's and they say has mc plate moped plate no longer allowed. Seems shitty. What is the point of 50cc if you need a mc endorcement? May as well get a Motorcycle then.

Yeah. MN statue 169.011 sub 45:

"Motorized bicycle" means a bicycle that is propelled by an electric or a liquid fuel motor of a piston displacement capacity of 50 cubic centimeters or less, and a maximum of two brake horsepower, which is capable of a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on a flat surface with not more than one percent grade in any direction when the motor is engaged. "Motorized bicycle" includes an electric-assisted bicycle as defined in subdivision 27.

For the majority of things that cross my desk it's the horsepower rating that makes them motorcycles. There are a surprising number of peds out there that are limited to 30mph but make 2.5 or even 4 hp.

The reason that so many dmv offices give out moped plates to vehicles that dont qualify is that many MCO's (manufacturer certificate of origin) will list the cc's but no other info, in which case they rely upon the customer certifying its speed and hp. If it ends up being registered incorrectly it's an issue for the cops, rather than DVS. We just maintain records, we don't enforce.

MN never sent me my new title for my Motron, WTF?

Salsa Salsa /

Megans Sexpress is titled as a motorcycle. I wanna take my test on it.

Not trying to be a dick but its easy enough to get a license and worth any hassle too. Then you can hoard motorcycles too!

Does it cost more for insurance for a MC plated ped? I got in a argument with a friend who has a Ruckus, he is adamant that mopeds don't need insurance, I was adamant that you do need it.

In MN at least you do have to have insurance. It's listed on your registration card you get every year. I don't have any MC's though, so I don't know if its more expensive to insure one or not.

Salsa Salsa /

Ask tyler. He didn't have insurance and lost his lisence for a month. His girlfriends sexpress has insurance. Its titled as a motorcycle. I m not sure if she has a motorcycle indorsment thou. . .

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account