Garelli to Puch wheel conversion?

I'm building a free spirit, with 17 inch spoke wheels. I couldn't source any puch rims locally, but I found some garelli 17 inch spokes. The front wheel seems to be the same (or maybe the front one is an actual puch rim), but the rear is different. The gear is on the wrong side. No biggie, I'll just flip it over and weld a new pin to keep the brake from spinning....

But then I got to thinking, it's the right size rim, and it has the correct number of spokes.... can I just re-lace that rim onto a new puch rear hub? I think the only thing i'd have to check is that they both use the same length of spoke/the hub is the same size.

Does this make any sense?

Re: Garelli to Puch wheel conversion?

I just realized that this is probably posted in the wrong section. My apologies.

yes, you can relace the rim. you can also get new spokes from Treats. dunno how it is with mopeds, but when I relace bike wheels, I don't like to re-use spokes.

do you happen to know if the two hubs are the same size?

nope. sorry.

Bust out the calipers and measure the hubs or just put them next to each other and compare. I would just re-use the spokes if they are in good condition and the right length. Moped spoke are generally much heavier gauge than bikes and more durable.

-Aron

Patrick Keaton /

Are you sure the rim is 17 ? If it is 17, that might have come off of a different brand, or it was not stock from the factory. Most mopeds from Italy have at least one wheel on it that is a 16.

They are both 17's. And it has the garelli-style rear sprocket on it. The sprocket is on opposite side of the brake. At first I thought that was the freewheel gear, but it doesn't look like there is a place to mount a gear on the other side.

I'll take some photos of the rim when I finish work today.

There were garellis that came with 17" spokes. Your problem is going to be gear ratio. To my knowledge the largest garelli/tomos style sprocket you can get is in the high 30's- that's pretty steep gearing on a puch unless you're running a pretty nasty kit or a pretty small front sprocket. Also the sprockets aren't dished like Puch sprockets, so spacing and alinment is going to take some work.

The main point of swapping the hub was to be able to run a puch sprocket on the rear.

I'll take a look when I get home. I may be confused, I'm still a noob. The sprocket that's on it is a 22. That seems really low, is it possible that's the free wheel gear?

oh, you're swapping hubs? that's way more work than it's worth. Find a puch rear spoke for cheap.

Andy Simpson Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> oh, you're swapping hubs? that's way more work

> than it's worth. Find a puch rear spoke for cheap.

Ya. That's what I'm thinking. I was in a hurry to get this frame rolling so I could start mocking up the custom stuff, and I grabbed the first set of 17 inch spokes I could find.

I was adding up the cost of swapping it out last night, and it would only cost me $20 more to buy a new, assembled rim. Then I can hand this wheel off to someone who can appreciate it for what it really is, a garelli rim.

Here are some close ups of the sprocket, and the only markings on the rim.

Other than the sprocket design, there's not much on it that indicates it's garelli. is it even garelli? (edited)

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

Patrick Keaton /

Let me see a picture with some more of the axel in it. That axel looked like the threads were too coarse. I am not sure, since the picture was not showing enough of the axel. I am not sure what rim that is. Post a picture of the other side of the hub.

that's not axel. it's just a piece of all-thread for mockup purposes.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account