ITOM has loss of power (See a pic of my new ped)

So several days ago I bought this mid '70"s ITOM (see pic). It test drove well. Drove it at home just a little in the driveway and it seemed to loose power. It eventually didn't stay running. I bought a new spark plug and starting fluid. I got it running fine on the kickstand (smoky exaust though). When I hop on it cuts out.

Any ideas? By the way, I am totally new to mopeds so I don't know anything about what's what or how to repair it. I am however a fast learner and am willing to do the work.

Clint

ITOM.JPG

Re: ITOM has loss of power (See a pic of my new ped)

Beard Road Bruiser (SoB) /

Look up Fred's Guide in the Wiki.

Overpriced Parts /

That is the one that you said that you ran on straight gas instead of premix mixture .

If you or the old owner ran it on straight gas even for a short while your cylinder, piston and maybe bearings are junk .

I worked on several mopeds that had straight gas run in them and the engines were junk. A friend and his wife bought brand new mopeds and didn't know what 25 to 1 and 50 to 1 meant and ran straight gas. I was surprised that they went a few miles and limped them back home. Dealer charged them 300.00 to fix them but that was the early 80s.

Do a compression test and you should be at least 100 psi but

Still any running without 2 stroke oil in the gas means you need to take apart at least the cylinder and look for scoring/damage.

If bad and the other owner did run without oil in the gas then give him the moped back and get your money back or get 200.00 off for repairs

Good to know about the wiki, Beard Road Bruiser.

Ken, thanks for the advise. I'll try those things using Fred's Guide.

Clint

Ken,

Will I need a new head gasket if I take apart the cylinder?

Overpriced Parts /

Yes and base gasket too

Sorry to bother you again, but where do I get parts from? I don't see any ITOM parts from my searches.

Ken stop scaring the guy..

I'm a newbie, I've found out that I've probably made almost every mistake so far, so It's my own fault.

I wish I found you guys befor I bought.

Overpriced Parts /

Well I like to scare people because I've been scared before when a crank or engine locked up at speed making me skid to a unexpected stop and almost getting hit /run down by a truck behind me. Though only a moped they need to be treated serious .

Check your points and spark plug to see if either is dirty. Could just be the plug. If your points are dirty, your condensor may need replaced. Cheap and easy to replace.

Yeah, dont go pulling the cylinder yet. Points,plug, condensor. Next would be crank seals. Attack it with some carb clean.

Patrick Keaton /

Put about 1 ounce of 2 cycle oil in the spark plug hole when the piston is at the top of the cylinder, and move the flywheel back and forth until you get tired of doing that. Do not go down too far to open the exhaust or intake port. Then check the compression with a compression tester.

that paint is fresh.

I really don't think the paint is fresh. Must be the way it looks in the picture.

I just put in a new spark plug. I also trimmed down a wine cork and fit it into the spark plug hole for a commpression test. It blew it out no problem.

Remember, you all are talking to someone who has put new trans-axles in my car, but no almost nothing about mopeds. For example, I don't know what points are or where to find them. I am still looking for a parts diagram of a moped. Any suggestions of where to find one?

I really do appreciate the help.

Clint

Patrick Keaton /

Here is a link to a PUCH SPARE MANUAL, so you can get a more or less generic look at what you have. http://www.mopedriders.org/article_view.php?faq=28&fldAuto=13

That looks like a morini Franco motor with itom stamped on it.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

i had my 71 puch stolen and run on straight gas till death, warped the cylinder. insurance co. totalled it 2000 agreed value policy.

Hey all,

I got it running and working pretty well! I also got some more information on it. The guy I bought it from said he ran it on straight gas for two tanks. So, when I put a 50:1 ration mix in it, I think it had a hard time adjusting to the change. I kept starting it and running the gas through it. It now starts up and runs with no problem. Compression seems good, but I don't have a gauge yet.

By the way, what is the da-da-daaa sound after you have it reved and then coast? Is there any way to reduce that rattle sound? Or, is that related to not having 2 cycle oil?

Basically, you really want to avoid coasting. When you coast without throttle, you're taking almost all the lubrication out of the cylinder.

This is bad.

When you're coasting, you need to "blip" the throttle. What that means is you should just kinda twist it for a second to let some gas/oil in the engine again. You don't have to hold it open for long. Just a second.

This may see trivial, and a lot of folks will tell you a stock bike doesn't need to be ridden like that, but my stock bikes will tell you otherwise because they've run for thousands of miles without fail. Just saying.

Also, I'm thinking your original issue was due to either straight gas (as mentioned) or your clutch was stuck. I suggest draining and refilling your gearbox with fresh oil. I'm not certain, but I would be that thing takes 30weight non-detergent oil in the gearbox.

-Prancer

Thanks Prancer, sounds like good, logical advice!

Rookie question for you Prancer,

You said 30 weight, non-detergent oil. Is this transmission oil or motor oil?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account