Riding in the bike lane - ?'s

Emil Kniemel /

so i know theyre allowed, but is there a speed limit in the bike lane? i remember something about maybe 25mph but i know some cyclists that are probably going faster than that.

how many people regularly use the bike lane? the speed limit here is either 50mph or 55mph depending on the street but there are HUGE bike lanes.

currently i ride through neighborhood streets as much as possible but sometimes i do ride in the bike lane.. at nearly 40mph.

Re: Riding in the bike lane - ?'s

Patrick Keaton /

I was told you can not ride a moped, or even walk in the bike lane. Here is the non -emergency phone number to the California police department for you to call, if you do not believe me 714-834-4211.

Emil Kniemel /

really? hmm. my moped registration says "motorized bicyle"

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21209.htm

says:

(b) This section does not prohibit the use of a motorized bicycle in a bicycle lane, pursuant to Section 21207.5, at a speed no greater than is reasonable or prudent, having due regard for visibility, traffic conditions, and the condition of the roadway surface of the bicycle lane, and in a manner which does not endanger the safety of bicyclists.

edit: i did not call the number but i feel like cops dont really know rules for mopeds either. (edited)

Patrick Keaton /

You better print that out, or at least carry that section number with you, so if they pull you over, you can tell, and/or show them that section number.They said the speed limit is the same as the road, but that was for bike riders, not mopeds or people walking. I never asked about a ''motorized bicycle'', just about mopeds.

Brandon Compton /

i remember some video on youtube with some bicyclist talking smack about someone on a moped in the bicycle lane and i believe it was in cali

I ride in the bike lane when there aren't any bikes around. I don't know if it's legal or not. Just like I don't know if my un titled/un registered heavily modified moped is legal or not. I just don't know!

Just recently looked this up for Florida- check for your state.

http://www.dot.state.fl.us/safety/ped_bike/laws/ped_bike_bikeLaws2.shtm

Comment: Since roadway positioning rules for mopeds are the same as those for bicycles, and Florida traffic laws do not provide an exception where bicycle lanes are present, moped operators traveling more slowly than other motor traffic on a street typically ride in bicycle lanes, where provided. However, per definition of "moped" (s. 316.003(77), F.S.), the motor of a moped cannot propel it faster than 30 mph on level ground.

cops are stupid and make up the law whenever they don't know it. they also classify mopeds as scooters erroneously all the time.

the DMV in Cali says you can, therefore you can. you can also park on sidewalks. printing the codes out is a huge help tho.

Emil Kniemel /

Flyin slice Chris Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I ride in the bike lane when there aren't any

> bikes around. I don't know if it's legal or not.

> Just like I don't know if my un titled/un

> registered heavily modified moped is legal or not.

> I just don't know!

Yes pleading ignorance may help you with the cop that pulls you over but I don't think it'll help if you do get ticketed/fined.

I guess I'll just have to make my moped faster.

Well Memphis just got miles & miles of bike lanes this year and we ride the fuck out of them. Blasting all day. We never had bike lanes so fuck it. The motorized bicycles do it also.

Emil Kniemel Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> really? hmm. my moped registration says

> "motorized bicyle"

>

> http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21209.htm

>

> says:

>

> (b) This section does not prohibit the use of a

> motorized bicycle in a bicycle lane, pursuant to

> Section 21207.5, at a speed no greater than is

> reasonable or prudent, having due regard for

> visibility, traffic conditions, and the condition

> of the roadway surface of the bicycle lane, and in

> a manner which does not endanger the safety of

You just answered your own question

> bicyclists.

>

> edit: i did not call the number but i feel like

> cops dont really know rules for mopeds either.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account