derbis in new york

hey, so im going to the dmv tomorrow to register a ds50. i cant find derbis on the moped list so im assuming i should get insurance first. i know all about registering stuff on the list and how to stay with a class c but if its not on the list its probably considered a 30mph vehical i guess so class b is required.. going to the dmv in brooklyn is a real trerat and id like to only make the one trip. im actually registering 4 bikes, the other 3 are easy peasy. thanks for any useful info.

Re: derbis in new york

Oh, your welcome!

Maybe Tri-ped Dave can get us the B and A lists too, so we can see where Derbis are listed, if at all. To register a moped in NYS, it needs to be on their "Certified/Approved Moped" list.

Hey Brian how long has this "certified/approved Moped" list been around here in NYS? When i registered my PACER SS in 2009, niether Pacer nor Italtelai (Pacer's manufacturer) came up on any kind of list. In fact my moped's VIN# came up as a registered hull of a boat? Needless to say I had my moped registered as class C with less trouble than I was expecting.

I'm sure everybody agrees one of the worst things about owning a moped is going through the registration process wouldn't you say? I personally would rather be in a state that does have it registered though instead of plate-less. My opinion.

There used to be a lot of debris in New York

I don't know how long the list has been around...since 1974 or so, I guess. In Solex World, that's when all the safety stuff came into play. The 4600 DOT version was created in 1975 with all the safety equipment, and 3800s/5000s were no longer imported or sold because they didn't have the safety equipment.

They're not supposed to register any moped that hasn't been approved/certified by the DMV.

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/recreation.htm#mopeds

Mopeds are supposed to have a brake light, engine kill switch, etc....everything on this list:

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv529b.pdf

The manufacturer is supposed to certify that the particular make, year and model is approved and has all the safety equipment. I'm fairly certain that it costs the manufacturer money to have their product approved.

Of course, most of the clerks don't know what the hell they're doing, and the supervisors aren't much better, so absolutely anything is possible once you enter the DMV. My friend registered one of his Solexes as a Peugeot.

I have a copy of the technical manual that lists every registered LMC and what it is classed as. PM me if you want to check to see what classes the DS falls under. Alot of them they just put in every class for some reason so you can register them any class you want.

I just registered, was listed in Albany as 29mph, had to call geico

keep an eye out on the wiki for something special coming soon. (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account