FInally got my Lazer V1 running...mostly

What a long strange trip it's been. I bought this thing a few years back on Ebay, got it for a song. I felt like a crook taking it home. I mean it was drab looking but mostly there and had some new parts with it. Poor guy just didnt list it well. The word moped was NOT in the title anywhere.

I tried to get it running back then but determined I had a bum carb. Last year I picked up a small mikuni from a late 60's Yamaha 50. I had to make an adapter of sorts for the intake. Fast forward to now, and I wound up putting new rings on it and finally it is running. (It was agony)

I am far from meticulous, but money is in short supply. I've done some things Im not too proud of to get this thing going. I've been trying to get it ready for a family vacation we are taking to a beach town. Of course they rent scooters there, but $40 a day. I wanted to have something for my kids to tool around the island with.

It takes me back to my youth, when I had a little Honda SL70, and I did everything imaginable to keep it running even though I was broke as hell. Wait a minute, Im still broke as hell.... I made a pipe for this moped (That can't be too efficient), cobbled up the Yamaha carb to fit, there is copious epoxy putty in places I'd rather not mention, I had to make a throttle cable, I made a custom headlight out of an old motorcycle light I had...it was burnt, and had been a sealed beam so I reamed it out and epoxied this little halogen lamp in there. (It not only works, it's nice and bright!) I made a seat pan out of some nice hard maple laminate (super hard, super strong stuff) IVe got some foam for it-now I gotta get some vinyl from the fabric store scrap bin..(Yeah I made a custom seat before so it might actually turn out well)....my god it goes on.

The thing is, Ive been working on bikes for 26 years now, I race vintage class motocross, Ive got some really nicely sorted and prepared machinery, but this little moped.....<gulp> It's like a junk yard wars deal. I should be ashamed of myself! LOL! If it holds together I promised my kids Id get a big bore kit for it this winter and do it up right when money will be a bit better for me (tax refund).

I can say the little minarelli hauled my rather large self down the road ok. Surprising really, but I definitely need some more CCs before I would dare take it out in traffic. THats another thing, Ive got three sons, 16, 19 and 20 who just have grand ideas about taking this thing all over town. (none of them have a car yet) and that worries me. I have a 40 year old Kawasaki 2stroke streetbike, and I see some scary stuff out there on it. I told them let's run the wheels off it on the island, where there are many, many scooters buzzing around, and people are alot more kind than here in southwest Baltimore. I've got to get it better sorted before they take it off to visit their girlfriends, and ride it to work, etc. Im thinking of going for a 70cc or 80cc kit, something that will make at least 40. Nothing hyper, I just want to get to the speed limit quickly. I just think too little power is dangerous.

My god Im rambling on!

Thanks to everyone on this board for all the input from my incessant posts on the repair section!

Re: FInally got my Lazer V1 running...mostly

Wow after all that no picture or what kind of Italian ped it is.

I know right! LoL

Sorry...heres a pic. Not much to look at, but not done....

Its a 1977 lazer sport 50

Massive headLight. Dayum

That exhaust! LOL what the heck please elaborate...

-Aron

I see galvanized plumbing components!

favorite post of june

Gromosaurus Rex - Brad Pitt /

Inverse.relationship.btw headlight and pipe....lol

Recovering gas-a-holic /

its a beauty...

Luke “Funkenet” Hosfield /

Good lord get a new pipe. Straight pipes are for 4 stroke, you need a chamber to run well.

Is that a spare water pipe you had laying around the basement? and using it as an exhaust?

Brandon Compton /

although i supplied no help once so ever to you....you are welcome!

Swoopid Woody /

perfect.

I started with the exhaust gasket as a pattern for the flange, which is 1/4 inch steel. To that I welded a reducer/nipple to which threads a 3/4 inch elbow. The main pipe is 3/4 inch electrical conduit, with nipples welded into each end, so that the silencer can be changed easily. I made a small silencer out of what used to be an air intake muffler for a vacuum pump, but I gutted it and replaced the foam with fiber glass. It was loud! So yesterday I made a paint can silencer, with a baffle tube and all...its nice and quiet.

the baffle tube is conduit, with in and out holes, blocked in the middle

LOL! yep!

I know brother. I am a 2stroke guy! I'll get to it.....dont think I didnt try rolling some cones! LOL

see my reply to aron!

I got the wiring hooked up and everything works. made a new silencer and bracket, its coming along. Gonna work on the cosmetics as well. It's a lot of fun!

Here's one of my other toys. 1981 YZ 465

Here's my old steetbike, also a 2stroke.

I've got two others as well, a 75 KX400 and a '72 F9 350. Got a jones for old 2strokes. (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account