Re: What are the best quality brands of mopeds?

Pete Daddeo *YouTube: Moped Problems* /

Minarelli's have a down side as well... where the clutch meets the crank. no woodruff key and it easily spins

Vespa! duh (edited)

Honda, and Motobecane. Now the Motobecane is only if it is in fine original shape, they can get serriously messed up if abused. But then any moped can. Nothing rides like a 50v! Honda is bulletproof in stock trim, quick too! But squirley and jouncy. Nothing wrong with the Vespa's I have seen, but never had one myself.

"Quality" is such a difficult metric. Do you mean frame strength, engine life, electrical, parts durability? Each of the mainstream mopeds obviously had some decent "quality," as you can still run them reliably more than 30 years after they were manufactured. In terms of engineering, the variated and dual-variated bikes are certainly more sophisticated in terms of what you could do with them -- just dumbed down racing bikes in their stock form.

Honda PA50 II hands down, Italian V1 bikes second. Derbi could possibly be high on the list but just to unobtanium to know.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

I think my Urban has better quality than my Hobbit.

Jawa

ブロック 666 /

Yamaha

M∆®†Y Køk€š /

AMF Roadmaster!

If I was going to rank my favs in order of reliability and build quality it would probably be something like this...

1. Puch w/ E50

2. Tomos w/ A35 or A55

3. Puch w/ ZA50

4. Honda PA50II

5. Peugeot 103

6. Motobecane AV10

7. Motobecane AV7

8. Tomos w/ A3

The french bikes have a special place in my heart and are soo fun to ride, but they are more work when compared to my top 3. I have a motobecane and I like the looks of it, but I think peugeots have a better design from a mechanical perspective.

I haven't worked on or ridden any derpis/minerallis yet I'm guessing they'd be on my list if i did and I'm not too impressed with morinis, sachs, batavus or vespas(i kinda like ciaos though). (edited)

Overpriced Parts /

AMF rear friction drive is the best

Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen /

A Puke? yeck!

A Pewjoke? hah!

A china girl kit, straight out of the box and bolted onto the lowest priced bicycle from wally world is undoubtedly the bestest moped of all.

Swoopid Woody /

Minarelli and Morini. oh and also Minarelli and Morini

best quality mopeds Honda PA50II

fallout Survivor /

Honda PA50II particularly the last 2 years of production.

hobbit.jpg

Yeah, I've had 4-5 puchs, 3peuoets, 1 motrons, 2 motobecans.

PM ME

Re: best quality mopeds Honda PA50II

#WINNING

Patrick Keaton /

-MY TOP TEN-

1.Derbi

2.Puch

3.Honda PA50II

4.Kreidler

5.Tomos pre2006

6.Garelli

7.Vespa

8.General/Lazer

9.Batavus M-56

10.Trac M-56

Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen /

1)PA50II and late model Expresses

2)Mobys and Garellis

3)Puch for parts availability, value and newbie friendliness.

Gromosaurus Rex - Brad Pitt /

I would probably agree with cosmo above, but I have no experience w garelli and interested to.see u score so high. I may check one out now. Love my hobbits and 50v's with puchs a close 3rd

all the italian mopeds with morinis (bianchi, pacer, malaguti, negrini) should be on the list. maybe at #5 or 6. pretty solid machines. not the fastest but pretty reliable.

i wrote: "honda had a few too many faults to make my list"

because it keeps appearing on this "quality" question, let me point out a few issues.

bullet connectors? no thank you,

green 4 in wonder connector, wonder why?

what dark secrets lie behind that headlight? naaaa

idle jet clogged again? why engineer a ped around a carb?

welsh plug, don't blame honda.

how many times can you remove the throttle cable, then reuse it?

pedal shaft, quality.

never seen a sidecover crack from overtorquing.

great peds, just not high on my list.

Patrick Keaton /

Pacer/Negrini would have been number 11, if this was a TOP 11 LIST.

puch, tomos, moby, puegeot

all mopeds are low quality pieces of shit

there i said it

If you're still trying to decide on which moped to buy, get a SSR Lazer 5 if you're going to buy new! They're all metal, built solid, have a dependable 4 stroke engine, high/low gear with manual shifter, large tires (17"), dual rear shocks (adjustable), and the list goes on and on. You can't find a better deal out there on a new moped. I have one and it runs like a top! Dont let Mars comments fool you, i heard through the grapevine that he is buying one!

Brad William /

I have a lot of experience with motorcycles but only Puchs as far as mopeds. I'd read a few times that the Puch was considered "overbuilt" by moped standards and just thought "meh"... if that's the standard then I guess so. But the forks wouldn't pass muster on a cheap mountain bike and the pressed metal parts everywhere are pretty low grade soft and heavy steel.

I recently got an upclose look at a friend's QT50 and was astonished at the difference in basic quality. Compared to the Puch, the handlegrip throttle assembly, cables, carb and riser, engine mounts, and assorted fittings, levers, cable stops, hardware, headlight/taillight, were motorcycle grade in minature. They made the Puch's (same year of build by the way) look like toys'r'us. Seriously. How could the Austrians have skimped so compared to their competition from Honda and Suzuki?

Thinking about it though, a 1980 Volkswagon Rabbit compared to a 1980 Toyota Corolla was pretty much the same story all around. Shouldn't be surprised. (edited)

Sounds like you should stick with your Pacific-rim motorcycles Brad.

Puch made a shit-ton of mopeds and motorcycles over the years and your flimsy little Newport was cheap-assed when new, but at least it has/had pedals. You probably shouldn't be painting the entire Puch brand as skimpy "toys'r'us" bikes until you've ridden and tinkered with some of their better models for an extended period of time.

Brad William /

huh?

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was not painting the entire brand as inferior. I explained that I've never known more than their mopeds. And I was not even comparing them to any motorcycles in fact... not japanese... not even Puchs. The motorcycle mention was only a general disclaimer about my experience. I only compared the Puch moped to the Yam QT50. Where did you read the rest into my post?

Is/was the newport that inferior to the other models of Puch mopeds? I did not know that. Which Puch mopeds were considered the best? Were the parts I described of higher quality on the better models? (edited)

sookia sookia /

i'm going to say a puch, based on the fact that i own one...any anything that i own is boss

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account