What are the best quality brands of mopeds?

I believe that Puchs and Peugeots are the best quality wises made.

Does anyone think differently?

I just want to know what the top 10 (lets say), best made mopeds are. (edited)

Re: What are the best quality brands of mopeds?

Tptwo Tptwotwo /

Tomos seems to get the most votes on this question, especially for dependability and long life .. but any moped will be 1000 times more dependable if it's left stock.

If you're looking for the best value, look at the new SSR Lazer 5. They sell new for around a grand, and have the 4 stroke engine, electric start, front and rear foot pegs plus pedals, adjustable rear shocks, hi/lo beam headlights, turnsignals, horn, etc. Also, they have a manual hi/lo switch for the transmission, so it will climb any hill in low gear. Can't beat them for the price, compared to others.

William Johnson /

Im partial to Honda pa50's

tomos except for clutches, and puchs except for stock porting

I can't believe it. I thought people only made posts like this as a joke - y'know, to have a bit of fun at the expense of boring idiots that make bullshit posts on the forums. But you're serious, aren't you? Wow.

Is it a coincidence that you have a Puch and a Peugeot? What other moped makes do you have extensive experience with?

I Look Like Shit /

my tao tao mopad has strong plastics.....

One of the toughest and best built mopeds...The Harley Davidson M50. The best mopeds from an entire brand standpoint....Honda. Honda builds a simple, affordable, and quality machine.

I forgot to tell you that there is only a very small plastic part on the SSR Lazer 5, and it covers the battery compartment. The rest of the bike is all metal, and heavy duty built. Not sure about other new models, but i've heard complaints about plastics cracking and breaking on new Tomos models.

Unfortunately the Harley M50 isn't a moped, nor was it even built by harley-davidson.

Grey L Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Unfortunately the Harley M50 isn't a moped, nor

> was it even built by harley-davidson.

Owned....ha..

Jim Rees Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you're looking for the best value, look at the

> new SSR Lazer 5. They sell new for around a

> grand, and have the 4 stroke engine, electric

> start, front and rear foot pegs plus pedals,

> adjustable rear shocks, hi/lo beam headlights,

> turnsignals, horn, etc. Also, they have a manual

> hi/lo switch for the transmission, so it will

> climb any hill in low gear. Can't beat them for

> the price, compared to others.

Keep your spam in its place, douchebag.

Why is this thread so full of shit? (edited)

Jeez, Rees. Why don't you go peddle those Lazers somewhere else? Other than the price, I haven't heard a good thing about them from people who bought them. Obviously, you have a stake in them somewhere along the line.

Go Italian!

Probably Fred /

Jim rees is Larry

Yup.

In what way is the price good? A thousand dollars for some 160 lb. clunker made from shitty chinese pot metal that will likely eat itself to bits within a few years.

Italian is right!

French bikes have shitty electrical.

Puch have brass bushing cranks.

Tomos have weak clutches.

Minarelli and Morini are tanks!

i somewhat agree with you, i like to buy american made.... but with that being said......

i have a 78 garelli and the damn thing wont die (not that i try to kill it)

not much torque but it tops out stock at 33 with a 230 me riding around.

build well, engine just keeps ticking. oh yah and i get 150 mpg..... kinda displaces the low torque..... to id go with that being my favorite, puchs are good as well, and i'm buying a sachs general 5 star this weekend so i'll find out how good those are as well.

Derbi

150 mpg. suuuuure.

Steve Dethrow /

Indian

kreidler, vespa.

honda had a few too many faults to make my list

if i said solex, i'd start a riot.

Kreidler...............mmmmmmm......hobbit to beat on.

Kreidler's clutches are also fucked engineering, their intakes are freakishly long, and the frames are heavy as heck.

kreidler.

Half the people on here consider 'nopeds'......mopeds. So you don't consider the Harley M50 a moped??? What do you call a 1914 Indian twin? What do you call a Honda Express? A scooter? A motorcycle? We can argue this all day. If a moped has to have motors and pedals like you two suggest then my vote goes to Honda as a brand like mentioned and most preferably the Honda PA50/Hobbit. Metal fenders, v-matic transmission, belt driven, no oil pump to block off :))), easy 30mph+ stock....and easily the fastest mopeds to make 45mph+ with few mods.

Besides the carburetors idle circuits being finicky to dust and dirt these mopeds dont stop running.

Yeah, Kreidlers are heavy but, man, what a ride.

Not only does the m50 not have pedals, but it has a manual transmission and has a top speed of 45 mph. It's like an MB5; no one here thinks they're mopeds, but they're still little two strokes so mopedders are attracted to them.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

you said quality.

i would have to veer way off thread and say batavus as far as the engineering and quality of the workmanship and parts go i have 40 some year old paint and chrome that can still shine like new. triple plated chrome

i have had over twenty peds.

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

I knew this was going to start arguments!

Other than subframes, I love Vespas. Variated, easy to work on, good quality build, and damn reliable, especially stock. My 3 Grandes have been the smoothest riding mopeds I've ever ridden. 3 cylinder studs is pretty goofy though.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account