To all you 50's & 60's moped owner's out there,,,

How terribly difficult is it to find parts and keep the bike running? I would love a bike from the 50's or early 60's but would be scared that once something went wong or broke, finding the part would be impossible.

Re: To all you 50's & 60's moped owner's out there,,,

anything could be made / fabricated

if you were determined enough you will keep it running.

im trying to figure out how to separate a clutch basket from its drive gear, so i can fabricate a new basket for a 80's MINIGp1 Kawasaki

Depending on the brand. Old Puchs (Sears Allstate Mo-Peds in the States) may be the easiest to locate parts for.

Old Wards's Riversides might be the 2nd most common oldy to mess with.

I still would rather ride and work on my 50's Puchs than any other moped.

Even the most common old bikes will usually have one or two parts that are real tough to get. Light lenses, side covers, emblems, and other small odds and ends. Less common bikes it may be nearly impossible to find any new parts, so you'll have to wait for used parts or make what you need. Fabricating and adapting is half the fun.

I'm thinking about setting up a Mexican factory to start reproducing the old puchs again, Grey. (: hahahaa new Puchs made out of scrapped 64 Impalas... Who wants to invest with me?

I wonder if all the tooling to make the obsolete models is sitting around in some musty warehouse.

Better set up the factory in Mexico before someone does in Asia and starts churning out even more crappy new 2012 knockoff models

Brandon Compton /

EWWWWWW DEZ, CAN I BE THE FACTORY DIRECTOR/PRESIDENT/MANAGER?! PLEEEAAAASSSEEE!

Yes... I would like you to open doors for the wealthy. You will be my front man. Can you tap dance?

And then you can also remanufacture Batmobiles...

A lot of old motobecanes interchange with a 50V mechanically, so they are very easy to keep going.

I always wondered what happened to all the tooling and molds at the car factories. If it might be in a warehouse somewhere. It would be cool to build almost anything from the 60's new again.

I did see on that pawn shop show in detroit one nite a guy bring in a mold to cast early 50's chevy hood emblems.

Very cool info Seth!

No matter what your age is, its no harder to find parts even if you are in your 60's

Us moped owners in our 50s - 60s and beyond might be wandering around the neighbourhood in pajama and slippers mumbling to ourselves, but we never had trouble finding parts for our bikes...

... seriously there is LESS trouble getting stuff for the old bikes now then there used to be before the conveniences of the internet and buying stuff online!

^ So true.

Rebel Moby Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Better set up the factory in Mexico before someone

> does in Asia and starts churning out even more

> crappy new 2012 knockoff models

i aint never seen anything crappy come outta mexico

there are newer mopeds that have virtually no parts too

!! Tyler !! Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> there are newer mopeds that have virtually no

> parts too

and after 3 weeks of use there are no moving parts on the new ones because they are broken by the grace of cheap metal and too much brittle plastic

eat a taco in Mexicali sometime ~and you will.!~

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account