Why do people think a ped is for off road?

Michael Thomas /

Just sayin'

I am working on on a Magnum and I must have dug 14 lbs. on dirt out if the tailight. It's not the first time I had to clean up dried mud or dirt and I just started thinking who would take one of these off roading? Maybe I am missing something.

Re: Why do people think a ped is for off road?

Everyone likes dirt peds.

They're not exactly designed to be racing machines either but guys seem to do it. To each his own i suppose. Me? I prefer stock & modest riding on side streets.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

i get it all the time, just cause it has a skidplate and 6" of travel on the shocks, 2.5"x 17" knobbies and the dirt track plates.

i always end up showing them the little sticker that says designed for road use only... lol

but seriously, it handles better than any other ped i had on trails, gravel, grass.

DSCF0020.JPG

I live in the semi-boonies and I like to stay off the 55mph highways but also like to go on 10-15 mile jaunts. I end up on dirt roads sometimes, it just happens.

I take mine wherever it wants to go... sometimes that's miles off the beaten path. Tall wheels, 2 speed manual allows for this though. And I weigh 137 lbs.

my ped loves to go offroad

Why do people think a ped is for road use only? taking the path unknown can lead to enlightenment, broaden your horizons my friend.

I don't get this either, these bikes were NOT made for this. I used to ride the poor hobbit along a rail line, anything over 10mph made it hard to control, and it shook itself to bits. The train engineers used to delight in "blasting" me with the air horns...like I needed that. I had a yz -80 before a moped and it soaked up this with hardly a shudder. Faster too. If you want to ride more than a smooth dirt trail or on grass get a dirt-bike or a dual sport. Right tool for the job. My 2 cents worth.

My Tomos Quadro prefers the road. One thing I have noticed is how easy the wheels lose grip in any kind of wet condition. Bad enough on brick and concrete, but on mud fuggetaboutit. The suspension is also not set up for off road even when it is dry. I do ride on unpaved trails when routed onto them (by my Iphone GPS). I wouldn't do it for fun though. Enjoy.

My Batavus Mondail is my off-road ped, ..but um the hobbit, yeah it is so stiff off-road it shudders like mad.

Lotsa trails around here so I cut thru.

Brandon Compton /

i dig that skid plate

Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen /

You are missing something. Off-roading is a blast. Almost all of us try to push our little bikes beyond their design limits. Some are into speed, some are into jumps and some, like me, are into off-roading or more accurately--trail riding. I rave all of my bikes thru sandy washes and rocky trails. It's what's for breakfast.

Picture 184.jpg

Mopeds were cheap and all over the place in the late 70's and into the 80's. I imagine many kids dreaming of a dirt bike ended up with a second hand moped to trash.

Lol @ this thread.....

Why do people eat tacos?

Why do birds walk when they can fly? Dumb birds

Why do people wear running shoes when hiking?

The world may never know

What are these letters on the screen? What are these sounds coming out of my mouth? What is the meaning of life? What am I doing here? What is what? I am freaking out MAN!!!

I loved taking my Free Spirit down the railroad access paths, jumping it when I could. Shit waa fun. I took my Grande off the beaten path a lot too, but was much kinder to it.

Stephen: Some peds are better built for off road conditions than others. Free Sprits are excellent for such things because of their sturdier construction and better suspensions, being a step thru frame is a huge bonus when you eventually have to bail out too. (hint: if you're gonna dump, put the exhaust side down)

Really like the Hobbits & all but I'd never trust one off road — subframe is too flimsy and their shocks are merely average, belt drive really sucks when they get wet.

I loved off roading, but haven't done it in a while. They tend to fence off construction sites around here.

Never thought about belt drive getting wet.

Grey L Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Mopeds were cheap and all over the place in the

> late 70's and into the 80's. I imagine many kids

> dreaming of a dirt bike ended up with a second

> hand moped to trash.

bingo

Luke “Funkenet” Hosfield /

I would love to do this. I even have a beater Colombia commuter with beefed up suspension and knobbies but I know of nowhere I could go that it would be considered legal to do this.

Ϫ‡☄ಬ∞ ƀƖḬƝƊ ƤǂƿƎ ∞ಬ☄‡Ϫ - Hoke from Black Pipes Moped Gang /

MOFA

most peds do not hold up to offroad abuse.........

but with a few mods they go anywhere my jeep club went with their v8s and 38s

here is a video of my moped trying to climbing some Ohio mountains

(edited)

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

looks like crazy fun Coconut! yeah I like to take mine off roads too. fun stuff!!

Michael Thomas /

Thanks for that picture Deezy...I think it is permanently BURNED into my retinas.

I never really though about it. I am more about keeping it clean and putting around the neighborhood on a beautiful day with my kids in tow.

It does make sense about kids taking them on trails sans a dirt bike.

We yetis have started building scrap bikes for the sole purpose of taking them off road so that we don't ruin our pretty bikes. Turns out most of our scrap bikes run better!!!!!!!!!!

Mofa cross!

I think an all-terrain moped is a good idea. They're good at almost everything!

Don't knock it till you've tried it ;)

That express is awesome, now you just need an air filter to complete it.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account