tomos ignition help

i have an 87 targa i have been fooling with for way to long. i got the bike and the wiring was a mess ( rigged up) i bought the bike knowing it had no spark and thought putting the wiring back would most likely solve the problem. so i have it all back like it should be this is all the things that are going on now.

-both wires from mag make power

-rear light is in and lights up when being kicked

-power wire going into coil is getting power

-spark plug side not getting any juice all the time (but on occasion it will spark)

-primary coil tested good 1.3 ohms

-secondary coil tested good 83k ohms

-kill switch is good

i can test anything else you think might be the problem. It sounds like a ground issue to me but i could not find a ground that seemed bad. anyways i would appreciate any ideas and would be more then happy to test them out

Re: tomos ignition help

Patrick Keaton /

File the top and the bottom contact area of thebreaker points with an emory board finger nail file. Look at it with bright light to see if you did a good job. Make sure the breaker points are clean, and have no oil or grit on the contacts. Make sure the breaker points are set properly.

points are clean and open as they should... any other ideas?

Put a new condensor in it

Check to see how many volts are being produced from the stator. If it is not producing the correct voltage, it can cause weak spark.

i could test the voltage but i don't know what it should be...if i had to guess i would say it should be around 6v??... by any chance do you know what it should be at?

do you have any info on testing the condensor?

Patrick Keaton /

Is the spark plug known to be good ? Is the tail light bulb, and the brake light bulb known to be good, and the conection clean on them, and the bulb holder, and do both of the bulbs light up ? Unplug the kill switch. Look for a wire that might be cut, but the insulation is still holding it together. A wire could ground out if the insulation is broke and contacting another wire and/or metal.If all that does not work, try to externaly install a condenser, from a 1972 Chevy Nova, if you do not have access to the proper condenser.You can try to internaly install it,if you want to.Make sure it is installed tight, and check to see if it is grounded good. (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account