40mph! Woohoo!!!!

I just wanted to tell everyone that my 79 Vespa Grande now does 40 mph downhill, and about 35-37 on flat ground. My top speed so far is 42 with some acceleration left. Yay! mods so far are:

Gianelli exhaust

Malossi Multivar variator (which I had to customize the rollers on)

Drilled out airbox

#60 Jet

oh, and it does wheelies and will push a Yamaha Banshee that's run out of gas :)

Re: 40mph! Woohoo!!!!

Sweet! Wish mine did that...

awesome. to me, 40mph is always the dream speed for mopeds. good job.

simon

Dream speed for a 50cc that is Simon. :) I can't wait to get my 13mm carb, power filter and proma for mine! Casey just got a grande too. Bitchin! Way to go B love!

Brandon,

Where did you get the gianelli exhaust? Put the 13 mm carb and a 70 cc kit on that thing and it'll be dangerous...

Chris S

I got the exhaust from a friend in italy. I was thinking about the 13mm carb, but I think I'll stick with the 50cc cylinder. but if I were to up the cc's on it, i'd go with the 80cc kit at 50cc.nl :)

What did you have to do to the multivar roller weights? I had to swap mine out for heavier ones. The engine wouldn't turn high enough rpms to kick out the stock rollers (red) in my Multivar. I'm now using the white ones. They're nearly double the weight. Lots of low end torque with the Multivar and faster top end. Best $50 I've spent on mods.

Chris S

Well, every time I ordered new rollers, they were the wrong diameter, so I took the heaviest weights out of the new rollers and drilled the stock multivar rollers to fit the weights. It still wasn't enough, so I took 3 of the modified rollers and modified them even more, by drilling them out and putting the weights from the stock vespa variator (which uses huge weights) into those. So now I'm running 3 slightly-heavier-than-stock-multivar rollers and 3 much-heavier-than-stock-multivar rollers, which balances out nicely.

brian away /

My Maxisport 2 will go 40+ down hills. It only goes 29 on flatground though : ). You're just not going down steep enough or long enough hills!

That is why people should come to Cincinnati. Hills!

hey chris... where di you order the multivar variator from? what exactly did you order? i'd rather use some of you guys experience and not have to keep switching out/drilling weights... i have an 80 grande... thanks!

casey

Re: 40mph! Woohoo!!!!Chris S

mike hartel /

you lose low end if your weights are to heavy. the pully will colaps on the belt and bog out. it puts alot of stress on stuff. you want it to engage at abaut 2000 rpms get one of those little tachs for those gopeds if you plan on tuning it alot. or stager the weights like in my elit i have 6 and 9 grams 6 times 3 is 18 and 9 times 3 is 27 so you got 45 its simple :)

no way brian. Back when my moped wasn't incapacitated, i'd travel all the backroads here in central mass, and there are some HUGE-ASS, LONG-ASS hills out here. If only i had a speedometer, i could tell you how fast i went, but... i imagine that i was going mad fast... because i was passing cars out there. it feels so good to triumph over 4-wheeled vehicles... heh. :)

-Mike

xXx

Swarm And Mutha-Fuckin' Destroy

Casey,

I got it from a friend in Italy. It is a Malossi Multivar Universal variator for mopeds. It comes with a replacement spring for the driven pulley, but I didn't use that. It came with red roller weights (4.5 grams each) as the stock weights. I swapped those for some that weigh about 8 grams each. I tested it with a variety of weights and these were the lightest ones that would engage. I'm not sure what Mike is trying to describe in his post, but it runs very well. I get enhanced low end and upper end. You need to use a smaller belt with it, or the belt will slip, since it has a smaller diameter drive pulley. This is what enhances the low end. The high end is better because it has a better overall usable diameter, and ends up with a larger diameter when fully closed. The stock Grande belt is 41.5" long and you have to go to a 41" belt. It is a fractional horsepower belt and the size to order is a 4L-410. Good luck.

Chris

awesome, thanks alot!

where did you get the replacement weights (8 gram)? where can i order the multivar from? 50cc.nl doesnt have any parts listed for the Grande (i assume since it is US only)... what corresponds with the Grande? thanks!

casey

Simon King Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> awesome. to me, 40mph is always the dream speed

> for mopeds. good job.

>

> simon

Day dreams of simper times...

Good bump. 40 is faster than most animals

Paul Boyer (OFMC) /

Woohoo!!! 40mph right on.

Andrew Squiggman /

Poor Poo Bear .. my stock Chinese 49cc 2hp gets 40 on the level easy, 45 sometimes on the level, haven't wanted to take it past 50 downhill. $700.

BryAn eurism /

Stock Chinese Scooter-Like-Object= Stock Chinese speedometer= 40mph= 25mph= 32 sometimes on the level. Here's your Norm's gift card, thanks for playig

40 mph page speed = maybe 28 mph IRL speed ... just sayin ..

RIP slow ass vespa thread from 2002.

ephraim zimbalist jr /

Andrew Squiggman Wrote:

i think sguiggy got it again

The Donald "ofmc" Wrote:

> 40 mph page speed = maybe 28 mph IRL speed ...

> just sayin ..

hehe

Pho Nee Wrote:

> Stock Chinese Scooter-Like-Object= Stock Chinese

> speedometer= 40mph= 25mph= 32 sometimes on the

> level. Here's your Norm's gift card, thanks for

> playig

U R So Dumb.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account