California title issue, any ideas?

So, I recently got a righteous Puch Magnum and have run into a bit of trouble trying to get that moped titled/registered in the state of California. I sent in the paperwork and the original permit from the previous owner a while back, and finally just heard back from the DMV. They rejected my application as incomplete because they "Need a bill of sale / or release of ownership from (name of who I assume was the second to last owner) to (name of last owner)". Has anyone else had this happen to them? Any idea how to go about overcoming it?

I've still been riding The Baroness (that's her name) around in Oakland, but obviously that's a bit risky with no license plate and all. Any advice is much appreciated, thanks peeps!

Re: California title issue, any ideas?

Last year around this time i picked up a blue bullet 1978 from someone in Los Angeles. I was a california resident at the time and he had the original registration card since the bike wasn't issued a title. I filled out the paper work, there is a guide here on the wiki i believe and waited 2 months for DMV to ok it. They did.

I would contact the seller whose name is on the old registration card if you can and prepare a new bill of sale. If you can with him go to a bank and get it notarized to be safe. By bill of sale, make sure it is written "releases moped vin # ____ to YOU for x dollars." Signed.

If you cannot do this, you might try just forging a name and signature that matches the owner registration name. I don't know how illegal this is and personally I wouldn't do it, but then again I would make sure to have a bill of sale with my paper work when dealing with California DMV since they are the 2nd worst government organization I've ever dealt with.

1.Go to the Corte Madera DMV. Drive over there, it will be worth your time. Not only do they have plates(no waiting), when it is registered to another person, they will give you a print out with that persons name. You take that and fill out the reg230 form, in the parking lot with that person of course, and walk back in. Bam. Done.

2.Send in a bill of sale if you already know their name.

Rollo Tomassi /

California is like a McDonald's drive through compared to Texas.

California does not title mopeds. The registration is the ownership document.

dig this form:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg230.htm

Rollo Tomassi /

... and I type too slow

Christian Levi /

+1 for dealing with the same shit right now... you said you still ride it... would any of you out there wait 2 months to ride your bike? cause I'm not...

Douglas Graves /

Awesome advice, thanks for the thorough response man, super appreciated!

Douglas Graves /

Hell yeah, that would rule if I could get a plate day of instead of waiting on their absurdly slow by-mail support. Waited two months just to get a rejection! Thanks for the tip!

Douglas Graves /

Yep, ride it at least every weekend! Whatever man, eff the poh-lease.

Christian Levi /

hahah... AAAAA GREEEEEDDD... that's good news, cause I'm not waiting two months.. stare at her for 8 weeks? no f'n way.

Registering a moped in CA is the easiest thing ever. First of all ALWAYS GET A BILL OF SALE!!! Then don't be lazy and go to the DMV early, get a statement of facts, and write that you tried but were unable to find the registered owner. Pay them the $19 fee, get your plate on the spot, walk out a happy person. Every time I register a moped I get to the DMV early and am usually in and out within 45 min. with my moped plate, and ready to ride. Super easy!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account