Need Advice: What to do about replacing an engine?

Hello,

So, my Kreidler is dead. I killed the engine. I was wondering what I should do--

- Buy a different engine and have mounts welded on?

- Which engine? e50? V1? Which will take me to MI and back to Chicago reliably?

- Scrounge for a Kreidler piston / top end?

- Get a kit from 50cc.nl? (Will any of those work for my Flory / MP-9?)

I'd LOVE to have a kitted bike, not so sure the Kreidler bottom end could take the pounding though. And, Kreidler stuff is $$$, especially from the overseas warehouse.

Ideas?

Thanks!

~DW

Re: Need Advice: What to do about replacing an engine?

Patrick Keaton /

Scrounge for a Kriedler piston / top end.

What did you do to "kill" the engine? If you seized the top end because you forgot oil, or you were jetted lean or something that's not a big deal to fix. On the other hand if you smashed it into tiny pieces with a sledge hammer I'd recommend replacing the whole engine. The Puch E50 would make a nice substitute, especially if you plan on kitting it.

Doug Wilhelm /

Does anybody reading this know of anyone who has parts?

My post was brief, I was leaving my first job for the day--

'Killed'; The piston / rings are shot because crap from a spare bottom end got sucked up into the cylinder. The cylinder is missing some chrome plating, but otherwise isn't too bad.

So... look for a Kreidler top end? Ouch.. Hmm.

Patrick Keaton /

nj dan might have what you need. He has a Kriedler moped for $300, but since he just spent $3000, money should talk with him, and he may sell you just what you need.

Having a trashed top end does not mean "killed" by any means. It never hurts to post a WTB ad in the Buy/Sell forum, you might be surprised. That, and trolling eBay and contacting (not just looking at) the websites of parts sellers like 77mopeds/treats/Quarterkick.

Doug Wilhelm /

I posted an ad! Hopefully something turns up. I can ask a few websites--

http://50cc.nl looks to have Kreidler kits, but for a different model bike-- I'm not sure if the stud spacing is the same. Hmm..

If I don't find what I need, what engine would be good as a replacement that would be sturdy enough for long trips?

Thanks,

~DW

Doug Wilhelm /

Also;

http://www.kreidlerparts.com/scripts/parts_cat.asp?gid=6

They have cylinders on here for the Florett, but I'm not sure of how to know if the stud spacing is compatible..

I want a kreidler or an engine... just sayin they look like neat motors

put puch mounts on your second kreidler frame. make your second bike a puchler. kit the puchler bring your kreidler back to stock.

Doug Wilhelm /

Not a bad idea! I would have to find a good set of rims though..

I've got a few leads now on Kreidler parts, I'm excited!

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

http://www.kreidleroriginal.com/en/index.php

Click catalog, click page 134, scroll down to part #215.03.73

The parts from page 132 to 160 are Flory parts.

Doug Wilhelm /

202.84 Euros = $253 + wire transfer fee at bank + shipping = An unfortunate TON of money :( I have to say though, I forgot the name of that website! I should make a wiki with all of the parts pages--

I put up a WTB ad in Buy / Sell, I found a website in the Netherlands which has all new pistons, and I'm talking to someone about buying a Flory with a good engine. Also talking to Boot about my ideas. We'll see what happens!

~DW

If you're patient i'm sure you can find a top end or parts motor through the buy/sell. Keep an eye on ebay also.

Patrick Keaton /

nj dan will take $175 for the Kriedler. If you ask him to ship the top end,or the piston kit, or the entire engine, that might be the way to go. He should be able to sell the gas tank for at least $50.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account