dumbest/most vicious wipeout - for LEARNING purposes

Christian Levi /

Hey guys,

New to the forums, but I'm sure this won't be the first time it's been talked about....

What's everyone's worst/dumbest/gnarliest wipeouts??? Not only do I like to hear a good story, and it gives everyone a chance to humble-brag their most baddddasssss story... but I'd also, as a novice rider in LA, learn the best things to look out for/avoid/embrace to comfortably drive in LA traffic. i.e. I'm don't want to go over the handlebars for some stupid ass reason like a car door, or not taking up a whole lane and being treated like a cyclist, etc...

Lets hear 'em boys. Do your worst, as the Count of Monte Cristo would say...

Re: dumbest/most vicious wipeout - for LEARNING purposes

John Warren IhazJawas /

I wiped out on some trolly tracks on my first ride. got the tire in the groove and lost control, bike was fine but i broke my elbow and had it in a soft cast for 4 weeks so i couldn't ride till then i was so bummed

Tptwo Tptwotwo /

I bought the wrong paper, too thin, not only that, but my toilet seat was loose.

I wiped out once by riding with one hand covering my carb airfilter to help choke it. I was going about 10mph when my glove snagged on it and I went down cause I couldn't get it off. Kind of silly, but lesson learned.

I also ate some pavement while towing someone else on their moped. Essentially don't push someone from behind using one arm. The arm will eventually tire out and you will lose control. Doesn't help this person was 250lbs +. (edited)

I like sticky throttles so you can leave it in a spot and use your hand to tune. lots of other people dont like sticky throttles and forget things easily.

so.. duder jumps off and my baby screams off WOT into a brick wall

the look on his face was almost worth it

Christian Levi /

hahaha... I've got the sticky throttle now... I'll be sure to better inform any visiting riders...

I think this video should help you:

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S3rh9WdhpNI

It was a learning experience for me.

Christian Levi /

hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahaha.... is that someone on the forum's girlfriend or something? that had me cracking up for a solid five minutes... girls... (shakes head...) f'ing girls...

Well, the other chick obviously knew how to ride though.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

one time i was heading back home from the laundramat and had a empty duffle bag on me. like a bandelarro, while going 30ish, had the slack end catch in the rear sprocket instantly making the duffles buckle and that sprocket, a pretty good come along, i think i would have died, if i did not get it over my head and locked on the handlebar. bringing the bike down in a left hand turn of death almost instantly.

result: screwed up bars messed up paint

scrapes, bruises, and a collapsed chest wall, from the "big squeeze".

pic of buckle.

DSCF0003.JPG
DSCF0004.JPG

Can not resist this one. Moped riding in winter. No real amount of snow on road, little ice patch here and there. Dark road, on the way back from friends house , no streetlights. Whizzing along forty or so. Fail to see big hole caused by snowplow. Hit it, front wheel hits hard and bottoms out, back wheel same but bounces hard. My ass is off the seat from the front wheel hit and the back launched me right off the bike. I am over the bike now,it plows into the snow bank and stops dead stalled. I keep whizzing along head first over snow bank and into yard of house by the road head first into the snow. Human snowplow. Helmet full of snow and some cracked ribs from the hard landing, no air in lungs so gasp for breath for a few seconds sucking in snow. I remember the dead quiet when i came to a stop.

It sucked bad!! No big damage, blown front tire, slight warp in rim. Had to walk it home almost 4 miles with busted up ribs - big time ouchs!!

That was 2 years ago....remember it like a few hours ago.

And there ya go.....moped riding in the northeast during winter.

Christian Levi /

Haha, glad I've got it in LA at the moment as opposed to where I grew up in South Dakota...

Brad William /

Only one bad one but it could have been much worse.

I was just in too good a mood one day, middle of beautiful summer day near the beach and I was doing about 35. For some inexplicable reason.. like I said kind of a too-good invincible mood... I saw a left hand turn coming up (left hand exit that crossed the other side of a divided street) that took me in a direction that I suddenly decided I just have to head off in.

By the time the exit arrived I was still doing almost 30 and could easily have just continued straight on my merry way, but for some insane reason my brain just decided almost on it's own that it was doable. It might have been BARELY doable at 15. But it was kind of spectacular. Just went right over and slid forever. Had a helmet but otherwise just jeans and tshirt.

Nasty nasty road rash lasted the rest of the summer. Still can't figure out where that impossibly bad judgement came from that day. I've been on motorcycles for many years without a crash. Mopeds just bring out the silliness in you sometimes.

Lesson? Just cus a moped feels like a toy sometimes doesn't mean you can get a away with riding it like one for long. (edited)

NEMA Victor (3 Knees Down) /

Tried to drag a knee going about 30mph on a hard left turn, the rear tire passed over a crack on the pavement and it went out from under me. Luckily I had full leathers on and it was race day at a go kart track.

Lesson learned, fix suspension for racing.

I was turning my idle up and ran into a parked car..While people were in it.

Riding on ice. Just when you get the hang of it is when you wreck lol

i was going between 45mph and 50 mph and something went wrong around my front wheel area(front end stopped dead) and i flipped over the handlebars, flew bout 20 feet, landed and slid another 10. luckily no road rash but i was not wearing a helmet. i got away with a shattered collarbone, dislocated at both ends, and broken thumb.

lesson learned: front forks require a brace of some sort. whether it be a fender or not.

John Warren IhazJawas /

also wiped out on a tight turn on a drissly morning i rolled and my arm still hurts this was at least 5 months ago

My shoelace got hung up for a second but it was the second I needed to put my foot down at a stoplight. Plenty of witnesses unfortunately.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

my personal best was pulling into a motorcycle shops lot from a main street being tailgated. i hit the lot doin 30, it's next to a greasy spoon the truckers frequent i pulled into the lot and after the tailgater was clear, i hit my brakes to my humbling, just textbook like. there was a superfine granite dust the same color as the road from the quarry trucks, down in a sideways powerslide right to the door of the shop i get up all roadrashed and told the guy, goodthing i was not on a roadking. i wouldn't have gotten up so fast.

mardi gras morning at 6:30 am riding to work on my derbi... it had rained slightly before I got on my way so the road was damp. It was right after the moped gras rally and the derbi had been a loaner and the throttle had gotten messed up. I didn't pay much attention because I was in a rush to get to work. The throttle kinked up at high rev and pulled me half way down the block kicking and screaming. It was also the first day I had decided to wear shorts after winter... lots of pushing and bleeding later all those assholes got their mardi gras drinks!

Follow me for a week... I will show you how NOT to ride.

Christian Levi /

These are all actually super helpful. Thanks MA.

Went to my local dairy queen for some tasty treats and had my beverage in my cup holder and my food on my book rack. Was heading back to work with my score went to turn a corner and some guy was watering his lawn, the street was all wet needless to say I was running the original rubber on my 78 maxi and the front tire went straight out sideways and I went over the bars, it was all in slow mo, I saw my tasty treats fly through the air and scatter on the pavement. Luckily I was in jeans and my leather jacket with a helmet but still at 20 mph I couldnt walk right for a week. Always were proper gear not walking right is better than not being able to walk at all.

LOL thats me when i am drunk lol

LMAO now way, that is not cool but so funny lol sorry man

Really Really drunk, leaving a parking lot 3 blocks from my place.

tried to go around the stupid gate thing and it clipped my shoulder.

i broke it before it made me topple over at 2mph, lol

Christian Levi /

I'm learning just how fucking fun it is to ride drunk. Bad things to come.

Kyle Osborne /

haven't wiped out on my moped,(Ijsut got it runnign a day or so ago)

BUT I have crashed on my motorcycle(Suzuki Marauder 250)...going 80KMph up a hill and without warning there was a sharp left turn at the top of it...I couldn't see it goign up the hill...I tried slowing down in time and turned into the corner...but it was too late. I went on my side and skidded for a good 20-30ft...stood upand walked away with a sore leg and hands....bike was a little bent up, but nothing major....was about 1ft away from falling down a 8-10ft drop into a swamp on the shoulder.

Haley MacKenzie /

These were indeed some of the dumbest wipeouts, but all had something helpful that I can remember to look out for. What really scares me is the hang ups with cars that don't see you. I've had friends who were nearly obliterated because of dumbasses running red lights or not seeing them at stop lights.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account