Need help starting my puch!

Justin Lehrer /

Hi, I realize this isn't a very active list, but thought I'd post anyway---I just purchased an '85 Puch (not sure which model), and I'm having some trouble getting it started. I thought it might be user error, as I have no moped experience, but now I'm not sure.

Here's what I do:

1. Pull up choke.

2. Push primer button 4-5 times.

3. Put fuel petcock in on position.

4. While bike is on kickstand (or while I'm pedaling), I pedal and hold clutch in and give it gas.

5. Nothing happens.

Any advice on how I might get this thing running would be greatly appreciated. The guy I purchased from assured me it "starts right up" and he ran it last week. I have added fuel, with a 50:1 mixture of two stroke oil.

thanks!

Justin

Re: Need help starting my puch!

If the motor's turning over,are you sure the spark plug is good.They go dead sometimes.Or the taillight bulb could be blown and that kills the ignition on some bikes.

chuck russo va /

u should read freds how to fix your moped artical it will solve your problem

also, the choke pushes down. it automatically pops up when you give throttle. That could be why :)

InfectedBootSector /

Not an active list? We post lots her eeveryday.

Anyway...

First- Put petcock in on position

Press down choke

prime carb

crank it over

try starting in on the stand... especially if it hasn't run in a while...

make sure your getting spark, gas, and compression...

You should also have a Stop/Run switch on the right handle bar, make sure it is set to "Run".

Also as the others mentioned, you push the choke down for each start attempt. The choke should come up each time you twist the throttle.

I have had my puch for a year and never had a clue that the black button on the carb was a primer. Hahahahaha. I learn something new everyday!

lol...

not an active board.. hehe.. I live on this damn website.

me too ducky!

OK, I just worked on it with a friend who knows 2 strokes well. He confirmed that there is no spark. He also checked to make sure the kill switch wasn't ground out, and that the points were clean. What's left? If you have no spark, what could cause that!?

Also, I would like to hear your opinions on the issue of whether the seller of this moped was dishonest. I purchased on ebay. Here is the link so you can see the description: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1812767679

The guy has been seemingly helpful, available over the phone, assured me that he had it running every day last week, it starts right up. But no spark....seems like that is unlikely to occur during shipment doesn't it? What do you think? Do I have grounds to think the seller lied about the condition?

Thanks for your advice!

Justin

check the wires behind the horn to make sure they are plugged in.

Ron Brown /

Justin,

This works for most peds.

Ron

If you have a vom, check the ignition components as follows:

Disconect the wires from the points. One of these wires goes to the magneto ignition power coil. You should read a low resistance to ground on this wire, 1-2 ohms.

Another wire goes to the condensor, read this to ground on RXMAX, that is your highest resistance range, the needle should kick, then settle down to infinity. Reverse the vom leads, same thing should happen.

Another wire goes to the ignition coil primary, this connection is also connected to the kill switch. Disconnect the kill switch wire only from the ignition coil, the wire to the coil should read 1-2 ohms to ground.

From the wire to the kill switch, to ground, you should read infinity with the switch in "run" and 0 ohms with the switch in "stop".

Connect the vom from ground to the wire terminal on the points and make sure they are 0 ohms when closed and infinity when open. This seems dumb, but sometimes points that look clean do not connect.

Re-attach all of the wires to the points. Disconnect the wire from the points at the ignition coil. Measure this with the vom, it should read near 0 ohms. If your meter is sensitive enough, you should see a slight deflection of the pointer as the points open and close.

With the vom still attached and set to about 12v DC range, spin the motor by hand. You should see some deflection of the meter needle.

Pull your plug (spark, that is) and make sure the piston is at or very near the top of it's stroke when the points open.

Re-connect the coil wire. Measure from the plug cap to ground, you should read 5-15k ohms. If this is infinity, unscrew the plug cap from the wire and read through it. This should be 5-15k ohms, if it is open, replace it, if greater than 15k ohms, it may still work, but replace it with a paper clip for test starting then re-install it after you get the ped running.

Read from the end of the plug wire to ground through the coil, you should see 1-5k ohms. If this is infinity, the coil is bad.

Lastly, using the ohmsX1 scale, verify that all of the grounds really are.

None of these tests are guaranteed to indicate a problem, especially where you read coil resistances and they seem ok. Substitution is the best test here.

To test the coil, connect a spark plug from the plug wire to coil ground, connect an ignition condensor (any will do for this test) between the points terminal and coil ground. Connect the negative of a 6V battery to coil ground and touch the points terminal momentarily with the positive lead. This should give you a spark at the plug.

Justin Lehrer /

All, good news! It's running!!! Turned out to be the wires behind the horn. I totally missed those! Thank you very much to everyone for the helpful pointers. I have learned a lot about my Puch, and am well armed with information if I should run into other starting problems at any point! This is truly a valuable forum.

Now I just have to fix a slow tire leak, and some other minor issues and I'm good to go!

THANKS!!!

Justin

Ron Brown /

Zippy,

Great call. I guess I have heard of this before but what is going on? Is the coil grounded to the horn ground?

Ron

Justin Lehrer /

OK I'm glad it's running, but the horn part is actually kind of a problem--it's really noisy. I took apart the horn/light switch and cleaned and put back together, but no diff. At first the horn would stop when I pulled the horn button out, but now nothing turns it off. Any way to wire around the horn?

thanks,

justin

Yep for some goofy reason. Every old Puch I get when I finally get it started it sounds like a bunch of angry bees. First time I encountered it scared the crap out of me, I thought it was coming from the engine. Now if I can'r fix it pretty quick I just pull the wires, connect them and wire around the horn. The horn is pretty wimpy anyway.

The brown wires are the grounds on most Puchs.

Your stuff was good also in case it hadn't been a quick fix.

I suggest you might give these guys some basics in the functions and use of a VOM, a very handy tool.

I refer them to the web site "www.Howstuffworks.com" for some of this stuff. I have learned a lot from your electrical trouble shooting guides. That has not been my strong suit so I had to learn the hard way. So we all learn a little bit from one another on here.

brians did that for a while. i dont know how he fixed it, though. ill ask him to check out this thread.

i think its kinda tough, though... makes it sound like a swarm of locusts or something.

casey

Ron Brown /

Justin,

The horn has 2 wires. I think that on your horn, one of the wires is a ground which is shared by the coil so it probably has 2 wires on the terminal. The other wire provides AC from the magneto through the switch, to make the horn blow. If you used to be able to turn it off and now you can't, you probably put the switch together wrong.

Use a VOM to check the wiring and switch.

Ron

Ron Brown /

Just read Zippy's post from 00:26. As usual, he is ahead of all of us. : )

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account