Serious!y Pist off!

Brad Cat (LSLB) /

I'm so fucking frustrated with my damn Vespa ciao, I've already managed to soft seize 1 poloni kit, now im on number 2 and its got WAY worse air leaks than before. You fan feel wind on your face from just peddling on the stand its shooting out of the head and base, and the base leaks oil from the bottom. It has a brand new base gasket. I torqued the head nutd down to 10lbs. Tried it and failed. Why am I the only person that has problems sealing these fuckinng motors.

/pistoffped'er

Re: Serious!y Pist off!

csb

hahahaha wat fagget has a vespa.

Using any sort of gasket sealer?

Zeke Rigg /

None of that points to an air leak. Oil leaks through paper gaskets all the time. The air u feel is from the fan. Do a proper air leak test with starter fluid. Then tell us what u find. Good luck.

^^ What Zeke said

The oil leak is most likely coming from your exhaust flange. It's hard to get no oil at all to spit from there. Some remedies I've used is a new exhaust clamp, copper spray gasket, and/or .05mm steel shim wrapped around the flange(of course you can use your favorite beer can as shim too).

related thread

Ϫ‡☄ಬ∞ ƀƖḬƝƊ ƤǂƿƎ ∞ಬ☄‡Ϫ - Hoke from Black Pipes Moped Gang /

David Daughters Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> wat fagget

Wouldn't an air leak suck in air, not blow out? Sounds like thats just the flywheel spinning.

Brad Cat (LSLB) /

Guys its not the fan, its coming from the top of the motor, I know what the fan feels like and this is way more wind than the fan makes. And the oil isn't leaking out of the exhaust its the base gasket which is metal not paper so it shouldn't be gushing out. This is like the 5th time I've rebuilt one of these motors. I'm very familiar with them..

my case halves were misaligned from the factory, thicker base took care of that leak,

micrometer the base to the head gasket distance around the cyl, i had mine milled to "true" it.

lapped the head, but finally gave up and made a .012" copper gasket.

heat cycling, retorquing, all S.O.P.

TTO makes a $40 tool to prevent people like me from seizing.

good luck.

Brad Cat (LSLB) /

Sorry for my ignorance, it was the fan lol, I forgot to put the cylinder cover on.

Now its on to getting the correct jetting, and the base leak. I'm gonna order some sheets of fully annealed copper and make some gasket. I've heard it from enough people but never listened..

Its funny, the same day I ordered my tto temp gauge I seized. Lets hope this time arounds different. Dumb temp question, how hot is TOO hot for a Vespa motor? Just to be clear so I can avoid that number at all costs. 400f?

Also another dumb question.. When people heat cycle and" re-torque", do you actually loosen the head nuts and re-tighten them or just check the tightness, everytime I do it there always just as tight and the torque wrench clicks right away.

Thanks everybody.

ps. Ciao!

What size jet are you running? I have a similar setup, and running a 72 jet.

Brad Cat (LSLB) /

Had a 73 in it today, runs like shit with the filter on, but pulls pretty good with it only half covering the carb.

Ps. Its such a pain in the ass to start. Gotta push start cuz the pedal hits the proma and I disconnected the decomp to try to torque it better. (edited)

heat cycling:

1) warm up the engine, needs to get nice n hot

2) torque down (insert name of threaded object) before the engine cools down

3) wait for the moped to cool down

5) repeat 1-3 like 5 times or more.

you may wanna use/buy/borrow a torque wrench for this.

way better to get pissed off than pissed on....just saying

Brad Money Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Dumb temp question, how hot is TOO hot

> for a Vespa motor? Just to be clear so I can avoid

> that number at all costs. 400f?

i've had mine to 436f safely, but every motor is different.

> Also another dumb question.. When people heat

> cycle and" re-torque", do you actually loosen the

> head nuts and re-tighten them or just check the

> tightness, everytime I do it there always just as

> tight and the torque wrench clicks right away.

>

>"the torque wrench clicks right away."

you are using an inch / pounds wrench, not the ft/lb ones i hope?

every ft/lb one i've seen is grossly inaccurate at the lowest setting.

most only go down to 20 ft/lbs anyways.

i do all torquing when cold.

and retorque only once after a good heat cycle.

just my preference that way.

just do a good job.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account