batavus vs tomos.... opinions?

for starts i currently have a 78 garelli that on a trip up to cadillac discovered i'm getting 150 mpg roughly.

now i'm looking at a top tank to buy, and soop it up to go faster, so which is better to do it with.

i have the option of buying a 1978 batavus for 450

or

an unknown year tomos lx for 425

i also saw a sachs general 5 star for sale for 200 but since its a basket case i cant do it (if you know how its on the kalamazoo craigslist)

which one gets better gas millage?

which one is a better buy?

and how easy is each to beef up?

Re: batavus vs tomos.... opinions?

Patrick Keaton /

I would get the basket case.Next would be the unknown year, if you do not want the basket case.The 1978 is bad news, as far as beefing up, and is not the better buy, if your looking for a moped to beef up.

tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos tomos

Bat = street cred

tomos= speed

basket case not an option?

the most important question: which engine does the Bat have?

tomos are ugly, top-tank Bats look awsome, tomos engines are really easy to get parts for, Bat engines arent nearly as plentiful.

If its not the "good" Bat engine, i would buy the Tomos and the Bat, swap the engines, and then sell the Tomos. While your taking them apart and then re-assembling, you'll find all the dumb stuff the previous owners rigged.

you want an eaasy bike to beef up, go tomos. all day.

but the RADDEST OPTION IS PUTTING THE TOMOS MOTOR IN THE GENERAL!

WOWOWOW! easy motor to build up, one of the prettiest top tanks ever made, that sounds like a winner.

or man up and fix the sachs and make it insane, but only if you're a masochist.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

seriuosly now, there are kits for the lowly m48 and grams awesome 98cc monster motor

i actually prefer the mechanicals of a m48 simple straight forward, great paint and triple chrome plate, top quality, good all round, simple electrics.

now, that being said. isn't it worth the hunting of parts?

as compared to a tomos a3N that is dependable and easy to get parts for, numbering in the tens of thousands, but if you plan on doing the mechanics, i would really suggest the bat.

or you can have the slovenian word for trouble

i personally would hop on the sachs, its pretty easy to get to 35 even on a 505 1A. its just a matter with tinkering with the carb and pipe.

mileage bat 100 mpg, tomos a3 89 mpg, sachs 110 mpg.

not really, although i am mechanically inclined, i'm still learning about mopeds. im actually going to buy the new moped and while i'm riding it i'm going to strip my garelli, have it powder coated, fix any problems, put it back together then kit it in about a month to go 45. but i also want to kit the moped i'm buying now (i like top tanks better and i want to have different bikes for rallys)

not to mention i talked to chad over at quarterkick, and after hearing it was the sachs engine on the general thought it wasnt a good idea to try to kit it. he agreed the better option is to go with the tomos seeing as how in the area i live in the speed tends to be around 40 and you cant really get the batavus to go more than 30 without extensive knowlege of how to bore an engine and such without ruining the reliability of the engine, and as stated, the parts arn't easy to find so i'm not going to do that to the engine.

do you happen to know which kits are available for the sachs engines?

Tomos

Patrick Keaton /

Go to http://www.treatland.tv and look under Sachs. All the kits are over $200 each.

fallout Survivor /

On the Batavus be aware that they made 20, 25 and 30 mph models.

There restricted versions are probably less desirable, but on the other side probably give greater mpg.

if you have transportation there has been a scorpion for sale in the Central Michigan CL for a long time, no pics but guy is asking $180 for it running but needs a new cable. Or theres a PA50II in Stanton, guys asking $650 for one that ran a year ago and 2 parts bikes.

i actually called the scorpion and it was sold, and i dont have 650 to spend, and although my cars trunk is very large, i cant fit a full moped and 2 part ones inside it

Patrick Keaton /

You might be able to put two mopeds in the trunk, and one moped in the backseat. You might want to put a blanket and/or a towel over parts of the backseat.

still requires money

1978 batavus for 450, i wouldnt pay

unknown year tomos lx for 425, closer to buying

i also saw a sachs general 5 star for sale for 200 if the tank is good,, i would buy it

tomos + pipe + jet + 27t gear easy easy 40mph those parts togther would run about 100 bucks bought new

i saw a general 5 star on craigslist, and the guy wants 575, i looked closely at the photos (i have never seen a minerelli engine so i looked it up) and realized it was a sachs engine.

he denied my offer of 475, so i upped to 500 then i saw that and told him that my original offer stands (i also told him i really shouldn't offer more than 400) because the engine isn't worth that much.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account