Stopping cable fray

Who knows some tricks? I would love to learn your little trick for preventing cables from getting all frayed at the ends without having to crimp on a permanent-ish cable cap.

For example, on stock Hobbit or Peugeot carbs, the cable is able to just clamp on at the carb end which is great because it makes it even easier to use bicycle shifter cables, but you have to either put a crimp cap on, or deal with messy frayed cables.

I've tried torching them to fill them with solder or some other brazing filler, but those thin little steel wires burn up pretty quickly under intense heat.

So, ideas?

Re: Stopping cable fray

save the cable's life

use a lot of flux and you can get a good soldered end

i dip the end in muratic acid to get it clean in between the strands, then flux and acid core solder with a propane torch

I guess I'll just have to try this again! Thanks dummies!

I use a solder gun with some good solder. ONLY works on new cables... old cables are too dirty.

Luke “Funkenet” Hosfield /

You can get those cable end things that crimp on at the bike shop.

Gorilla glue?

Emil Kniemel /

bicycle ferrules are used for bike cables.. dunno if it would fit through the to attach to the hobbit carb though.

I like heat-shrink tubing: put it over the end, and put a lighter to it.

Y'all are missing the point :)

I want to be able to remove the cable from a knarp or carb without having to crimp, as those crimpers tend to fray the cable themselves, and when a cable is nicely welded (like some older motorcycle brake cables are) you can clamp down on them without them getting all malformed and frayed.

Furthermore, when the cable is nicely soldered/welded, you can usually pull it entirely out of the housing to lube it and feed it back through the housing like it were new.

use a strong acid type flux and a gun. a torch will burn the flux too easily. p.s. neutralize acid with baking soda

i use these.

dont notice them fray the tips at all.

cheap, simple

your an idiot if you dont use these, go get some acid , map gas, and hard to find acid core solder if you reallly care.

I used super glue on my throttle cable to hold the strands together while I attached it to the throttle.

Solder it. Just gotta get it hot hot hot.

superglue

I reread the original post. Using a torch might be too hot. I've just used a gun style solderer and really heated the end up. I have noticed that it works better on some cables than others.

Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen /

Upon installation, cut them long, put a drop of whatever glue at the very end. Whenever they need to be removed for lube (removal totally unnecessary btw) simply cut the end off, do your thing, reinstall and re-glue the tip.

or just go spend the $1 and get a new one.

I do the super glue on cable ends prior to trimming them and even when cutting the glue keeps the strands bonded. Clean with brake cleaner first and then give them a goodly shot of the super glue and let it dry.

The screwdriver trick works really well to cut the cable cleanly. I saw it on a blog somewhere. I take a big flathead screwdriver and I have it sharpened a tiny bit and i give it a hammer against some concrete with the cable under the flathead. Cuts it clean! no fray for a long time, but it will eventually.

I use crazy glue on the ends.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account