1975 batavus couples questions

Hi there. I just bought a 1975 batavus moped and am doing some small projects to it. Building a long seat, replacing a worn belt and giving it a new paint job. I have two questions. Does anyone have tips for fixing rusted chrome? Not heavy rust or rot just a some pitting and surface rust. On most chrome and some on muffler. The second question is I have been searching on line but I can find the correct fuel to oil ratio, does anyone have an idea? This is my 1st moped and 1st 2 stroke engine so not 100% of how to give it the correct fuel. I know its best to have a separate gas can at home with the mixture already done but I plan on long trips and over night stays. Have heard of putting the oil in with the gas in the gas tank it self and shaking the moped back and forth, not sure about that. Any advice for a new guy would be appreciated. Thank you for your time

Re: 1975 batavus couples questions

fallout Survivor /

rusty chrome scrape off, steel wool then wax the chrome to prevent it from reforming. On exhaust may melt off..

mix 1:32 - 1:40 .

♣Slew Foot♣ /

batavus' chrome is triple plated a piece of tinfoil can take out most blemishes and its actually 50:1 - 3 oz of oil to a gallon, you are pretty good just remember gas first, valve off, shake.

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Category:Batavus

fallout Survivor /

You can run 50 to 1 but you are pushing it and probably need to use the best synthetic 2 stroke oil you can buy. Be safe and use 1:40.

fallout Survivor /

As for mixing, If it w as me , I would carry a long mixing rod or spoon that reaches to the bottom of the tank. You have to work it mix the two liquids with different viscosities and densities.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

john, with the stock plug, NGK 8hs, 40-1 is pretty rich and will constantly fowl the plug.

if you are mixing 40-1 get a hotter plug a 7 or 6.

fallout Survivor /

Strangely, the manual and the decals on the bike say 25:1.

Whatever works is somewhere between 1:40 to 1:50 with some checking on the spark plug deposits. Since with a M-48 the user is unlikely to be revving above specs, it might be a little less risky to to with 1:50. (edited)

Patrick Keaton /

Attach a file of a picture that shows a 25:1 decal on a moped, other then a Honda.

- Summerai - Drew /

This is 2012. Amsoil, 60-75:1.

I'm learning all about fouling plugs but they are easy to clean with carb cleaner! As for your mix if you are using synthetic you may want to use more like 50 mililiters per gal of gas if you use semi synthetic 75 mililiters. The richer you run the more likely you are to foul your plug the leaner you run the more likely you are to seize your bike/engine which is way worse (all of this is a learning process which is unique to each bike and where you live/climate/terrain/etc....)

As for getting lite rust off of chrome, use fine steel wool and oil baby oil or even wd4 will work don't use too much cause it will never come off.

fallout Survivor /

oops it says 2 percent!..

DSCF0505.JPG

Brad Eadie /

Thanks for the replies. I've decided to just paint the chrome over. I'm still confused about the ratio, would I be better off with a 50-1 or 40-1? This will be my daily rider

Patrick Keaton /

Why would you want to paint all the chrome ? 40:1 is used during break in, which is about the first 300 miles.You would be better off with 50:1

fallout Survivor /

See the picture above... it says to 2 percent oil on the tank of my 1977 batavus which is the same as 1:50. I would say follow the manufacturers recommendations.

Brad Eadie /

The muffler has a large section with missing chrome. Going to try the lemon juice & tin foil trick on the chrome but if it doesn't come out satisfactory I'll just paint it all. I rescued the moped from a leaking garage so it has the rust of being left out doors. Plus the paint is very faded so going to give it either the all flat black look or thinking a more customized look. Probably just flat black with something painted on the gas tank. And I'm going with the 50-1 ratio. That's the 30z of oil per gallon I believe. As for a mixing rod, would a ling metal spoon work, possibly like the ones in cocktail sets?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

actually that durron paint is almost indestructable buff and polish you will be suprised.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

its 3 oz to a gallon trust me. thats just regular two stroke, one in every four tanks i will sub out 1 oz of marvel mystery oil and 2 oz of 2 stroke oil

it keeps them sealed bearings rolling smooth.

i just shake the gas can.

@John,,,what kind of wax? will WD40 prevent the rust too?

Brad Eadie /

To jr bobdobbs I would buff the paint but alas the color is currently purple. Btw love your name

Brad Eadie /

Here is a picture I took of it when I rescued it from the collasping garage. Traded it for a coffee table

moped%20before.jpg

there's a lot of dumb in this thread. 50:1, turn the petcock off, gas in first, pour in oil and shake. You don't need a goddamn spoon

what's this marvel mystery oil???

fallout Survivor /

Many at the pump mixers first ad the oil and then the gas. The flow of the gas is enough to mix it well enough. Just do be sure to mix thoughoughly.

It is still a mystery

fallout Survivor /

Originally developed to break up deposits in engine carburators due the the poor quality gas in the 20s.

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/

ah man, that paint is awesome, please dont re-paint it.

you're already riding a moped, might as well be a purple one. If you really want to get crazy and do custom stuff you should sell the batavus and get a janky puch or tomos that is easier to customize.

Whatever you do to it will not make it any cooler than how it is now.

Rust on Chrome:

Spray on some PB Blaster or other penetrating oil

Use fine steel wool to get rid of the rust

Wash off the oil, dry

Get some Ospho from the hardware store. Wet a paper towel with it and go over the item. Let it sit overnight. This will seal the bare spots and prevent rust from returning.

Even if you intend to paint the rust areas on the muffler, the Ospho is a must before priming and painting.

Filling up at the gas station:

Even with the reserve amount in the tank, a Batavus should be able to take a gallon of gas. Carry a measured amount of oil for one gallon (actually 2.6 ounces, which is almost exactly 1/3 cup). It should fit under the seat, no problem. Put in the oil first, then exactly one gallon of gas. The gas flowing in mixes it just fine. You can top off from your premix can when you get home.

The "gas first" is OK if you don't know how much gas it's going to take, so you have to do the math for the right ratio afterwards. Putting in exactly one gallon eliminates that problem.

Hmm 50:1 I run 32:1 in both my V1's with Polini's and in my girlfriends Bat.

but that's me, I don't have any problems with it.

-Aron

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Is your pipe mounted to the swingarm?

Brad Eadie /

I would keep the batavus purple but I live in an area where riding a moped alreaddy gets me slag and adding the purple could get me beatin up. Even in my mid 20's. Plus the puprle draws attention. Since I'm riding mainly late at night I need to blending in as much as possible. And down hill harvey this will sound terrible but I don't even know what the swing arm is, I'm a total newboie at all thos. Would love to learn though and that's why I'm on here.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

honestly tho, i have two bats and that color is the first moby grape color one, i have ever seen.

if it was pink or muave, chartruse, or cherise. i could see being razzed but some of the hottest muscle cars of the 70s were that same color.

if you are worried about it, carry bear mace and a stun gun with six new extra batteries incase you have to hold them a half hour til the cops show.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account