Bigger front wheel

I'm in the very early stages of a free spirit custom build. I bought the EBR maxi forks from treats (non hydraulic) and they're awesome. The quality is very nice. I'm thinking that they might be a little shorter than I'd like...

Rather than going with the magnum forks, could I raise the front end a little by running an 18 or 19 inch front wheel instead of the 17? They do it on motorcycles all the time, but I don't know if it's acceptable on a moped.

Re: Bigger front wheel

Freespirit uses magnum length forks.

With that being said, yes you can run a bigger wheel. Just make sure you can lace it to the puch hub or that it uses a similar brake plate and that it doesn't hit your spark plug or triple tree under full compression.

Jeremy Sharp /

all of that is great information, thanks. All that I would need to know to lace it to the push hub, is that it would need to be a 36 spoke rim, right?

What about running the hub and axel that matches whatever rim I get? As long as it fits in the forks, it shouldn't matter, right?

† CH∆D † /

I tried it on my magnum build. With the stance I was after...the 19'' did not work.Looked rad though.

Jeremy Sharp /

chad,

that looks badass. what didn't work about it? Was 19 too big, but maybe 18 would have been just right? I'm building a cafe bike, so making it not look like a chopper is probably ideal.

keep the advice coming, this is great stuff.

Just cut the frame and rake it out. It takes like 15 mins...

† CH∆D † /

For all its worth, stick with 17''? My 19'' tire rose above the fork stanchions. With a 17'' tire if you hit a BIG bump & bottomed your FORKS out you'd be semi ok. Though if the tire is ABOVE the forks. You hit that same bump & your tire tries to stop. END-OH NOE!

Jeremy Sharp /

Thanks for all of the advice. I'll stick with the 17 up front. If it still feels too short, I'll either get longer forks or adjust the rake before powder coating.

Or shorter rear shocks.

Recovering gas-a-holic /

go with a smaller rear rim

wow chad, wow! its funny beucause im actually in the process of doing a similar build.... yours is looking way better haha... maybe back to the drawing board :)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account